BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - new on here so please be kind!

Car - 316i Touring 2002 1.8 16v N42 Valvetronic Engine 70K miles

I have noticed recently that sometimes/intermittently when i go to pull away, or after letting the revs drop,that the car is extremely reluctant to pull away and there seems to be a loss of power/ throttle response. There just seems to be little or no throttle response for 5-10 secsthe car lurches and then decides it wants to go - This is becoming rather a worry when pulling out at busy junctions and/or roundabouts especially with kids in the car - will the car do it or not!!

So far i have had the Softwear wipped and latest version uploaded and MAF sensor changed, but neither seem to have cured the problem.

Whats also worring, is that there are no engine management lights on and no codes stored - rather worrying considering the fault.

Has anyone any ideas, or experienced a similar problem?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Were the fault codes read using a BMW specific scanner nick jones?

And has the engine induction system been checked over air leaks/split hoses, split breather pipes e.t.c?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sounds very similar to other issues Ive been hearing about.

I would search on here for underpowered, loss of power, etc as I have a thread about 5 miles long about my experience.

It could be a duff MAF.

Also could be bad scanner that didnt throw up BMW specific codes. Which it wouldnt understand if it was a universal.

:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Problem of dying has been fixed!!!!

After numerious returns to a very helpful independant BMW garage, the owner took it upon himself - as a personal challenge to sort the problem.

finally, after contacting loads of his BMW mates, mechanics and diagnostic software people, he came up with the answer. a simple remedy called an 'adaption test' which involved driving car in 3rd gear @ 35mph for 10mins and then doing something with his box of tricks -Basically resets the ecu/valvetronic which was out of sync.

Noprobs since this was carried out - Thanks very much Dave at EDEN MOTORS YEOVIL

·
BFuk Resident Design Guru
2,834 Posts
The Problem of dying has been fixed!!!!

After numerious returns to a very helpful independant BMW garage, the owner took it upon himself - as a personal challenge to sort the problem.

finally, after contacting loads of his BMW mates, mechanics and diagnostic software people, he came up with the answer. a simple remedy called an 'adaption test' which involved driving car in 3rd gear @ 35mph for 10mins and then doing something with his box of tricks -Basically resets the ecu/valvetronic which was out of sync.

Noprobs since this was carried out - Thanks very much Dave at EDEN MOTORS YEOVIL

sounds kind of sweet... ive got the same problem.. ive never heard of this thing.. care to explain further.. someone?

·
Premium Member
12,946 Posts
technical information system..

comes on a cd disc or as a dwnload install direct to hardrive....

·
BFuk Resident Design Guru
2,834 Posts
technical information system..

comes on a cd disc or as a dwnload install direct to hardrive....
I see.. so whome and where would i go to talk about this thing then coz im interested as i took my car to the dealers and they ran diagnostics on it and found nothing and had a root around and a test drive and didnt notice anything.. but its deffinately there still and annoying the crap out of me.. they say my timing chain might have slipped but that would require 2 hours labour just to diagnose the problem!

·
Premium Member
12,946 Posts
not saying its on there but i recall seeing summat somewhere in the past my minds a sloppy pudding these days..

BMW TIS can get it as a download freebie from various torrent sites n file sharing portals beware of viruses (scan download file first) tho..

or theres cheeky sods trying to flog it on fleabay..

·
Premium Member
12,946 Posts
allsorts of how to's and general maintenance instructions and tables and figures and technical and testing information so on and so on...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts