BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20,393 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hi. The write up is by unclesam- Job done. Thanks for the replies and advice on here. It is not as easy on a E46 as on some other models - but not impossible - you just need to be patient and follow these steps.
1. Remove the glovebox thingy on drivers side – two screws (not sure this was absolutely necessary actually)
2. Remove the panel under the steering wheel - three cross head screws and some clips - unclip the wire to the courtesy light; push the grey clip on the OBD port towards the front of the car and the connector will come away from the trim; unclip the wires to the speaker (may only be on HK equipped cars?).
3. Find the FSR - plenty of pics on the web already. You will see that there is a motor housing in the way.
4. Remove the motor from the housing - there is a small clip at the rear (ie the section nearest the rear of the car) - push it in and the motor can be pulled down and disengaged from the actuator that it sits in. Note that if the car is warm then the actuator could move as it self centres as the heating system cools down - this may make it a little more tricky to re-fit - my suggestion is either disconnect the battery before starting the job or do the job once the car is stone cold. No chance of the flap moving that way.
5 Now the worst bit. There are two torx T20 screws holding the housing in place. The bottom one is easy to see; the other is impossible. I had been told that you could see it with a mirror – well I looked and looked and could not see it. The screw you can see is at the bottom right of the motor housing – the one you can not see is at the top of the housing and to the left. If you feel on the top of the housing there is a semi circle recess about the size of a screwdriver – and the second torx screw is at the bottom of this recess – it’s head faces exactly the same direction as the lower one that you can see. I found the best way to undo it was without trying to crick my neck to see it – just put a T20 torx driver down the slot and feel around until locking into the screw head. You will need a screwdriver with a total length of around 150 – 170mm – my 200mm driver handle fouled the steering column – in the end I used a torx headed “allen key” tool – nice and slim and not too long. The tip here is that you do not need to remove this screw – just loosen it – you will then have enough room to remove the FSR. Re-assembly is a lot easier - you do not have to find the screw hole - just find the screw head again.
6. Now it is easy. Remove the wiring connector to the FSR – held with a spring clip in the connector – just push the ends in and pull it off. The FSR is held in with two more T20 torx screws – the bottom one very easy to get at and the top one recessed a little – a magnetic bit holder is useful here to stop the screw disappearing into the centre console. Now the only thing holding the FSR is the plastic clip – push it out of the way and remove the FSR.
7. Replacement is the reverse – very straightforward. If you have trouble wiggling the FSR into the housing and past the clip put a hairdryer on the whole area and warm it all up – should just push straight in then.
For Part- http://www.c3bmw.co.uk/StockItem.as...roductID=1340&oRef=-1&section=2&Item=unassign . Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts