BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever split the headlights on the newer bonded headlight assemblies?

Looking at mine today, the outside needs refinsihing and polishing,while the inside is covered in years of dust, moved by condensation. Many posts just say unclip them. Mine appear to be bonded and clipped.

Other threads on GTO's suggest that you can split them by heating them in the oven. Anybody ever tried this?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I tried using a heat gun once,but that black stuff they use seems to really hold its ground, i gave up in the end, and took out the glass lenses and did the best i could through there lol.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
if they are anything like the compacts sealed units it warm up, cut with a sharp knife and brute force. 2 people can do it much easier than one as once the glue lets go to some degree you can hold it apart while the other person convinces it to let go. bonding stuff BM use is very good at its job and really doesnt want to let go even to the last bit of resistance it can put up

·
Registered
238 Posts
here you go also check the youtube vid, he chargers £50 per light. I looked into this thinking my ajusters was shot, but it seems one or two of my leveling sensors are broken insted.

I may even get this done just for new ajusters and a polish, to bring them back to as new again.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
wish i had thought to use a paint stripper/hot air gun when i did mine. funny how seeing something so obvious can give you a DOH! moment

1 - 7 of 7 Posts