BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I've just bought a 2002 e39 530d. It has the standard radio cassette head unit. It has no cd changer, but the bracket and wiring is all there.

Looking at putting in an Alpine CHA-S634 CD/MP3 changer. Would someone be able to answer the following questions?

1. Is this mp3 cd changer solution any good?

2. Would this be a simple drop in replacement?

3. What additional cables/adapters would I need? I've read elsewhere that the following is required:
- Alpine KCA-130B Ai-Net/M-Bus adapter
- Soundgate ABMW35V4 BMW/Alpine M-Bus adapter

Thanks

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
Hi kalkal

Only just noticed this thread (!) I'm interested in your proposed solution as I have a 2005 530d (E60) and practically live in my car. Been "dying" to get a MP3 solution to the i-drive as my previous car before the bimmer happily front loaded MP3 cd's.

I've contacted several local agents in my area, they appeared to either no want the job or not know enough...

I also contacted the BMW garage I bought the car from but they do not deal with 3rd party products and so on.....

I will happily pay good money for someone to install, such an item as you have mentioned, and configure it......

If you get any takers for the job or find more info can you please PM me? Cheer! Red :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No worries Red, I'll let you know.

Can anyone else shed any light on the proposed mp3 solution?

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
You must have come across this DIY kalkal. If you have a Business or Professional head unit (not sat nav as it lies on a different bus), then I can't see a problem, as the pre wiring is the same as the DIY. I may be wrong but one of those adaptors is to do with text coding I think. Sorry Red, couldn't find any info. on i-drive compatability, however, I have aheard that the latest DVD ROMs fitted for the i-drive are MP3 compatible :eek:ptimist.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Neal, I had'nt seen that DIYT guide before. The information I got was from this site.

Whats DSP? and how do I tell if my stereo is non-DSP?

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
DSP stands for Digital Sound Processing. Have you come across a DSP coax input? The way to tell if your head unit is anlogue/digital DSP is press the music symbol button until you come across the DSP menu. If you don't, then your unit is straight analogue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to be a pain Neal. I dont have a music symbol button on mine...is it the same as the button that scrolls through the bass, treble etc settings?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts