BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, was just wondering if someone has an idea what is at fault here.

Basically, it won't start. It was working fine yesterday and today...

When I turn the key it doesn't turn over, but makes a buzzing type sound. All the lights are working and stereo etc. I've checked the battery and that's fine.

I dont want to take it to a garage really, as money is short, and I could possibly do the job myself.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
When you say the battery checks out fine how did you determine this? Simplest test would be jump it from another vehicle and see if it starts.

If yes then its the battery. If it still buzzes its likely either the starter motor or the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I just assumed the battery was OK as all the lights, stereo are working fine. I'll try jump starting tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Put a voltmeter across the battery terminals - you should get over 12v. Anything less than 12v indicates low battery. These cars use a lot of electrical power, so the battery works hard for its living. If it has lasted 5 years or so, it will be shot probably. Always worth putting the battery on charge though first - particularly if you tend to do only short journeys normally, the battery may just need a good "top up" to revive it.

If the battery charges up OK, its a good idea to check the charging is OK too, start the engine, and put a voltmeter across the battery again, get someone to rev the engine - the volts should rise accordingly, ideally around 14v, then get them to put on the headlights and the rear demister, again when revved you should get 14v or more - if you do then the charging circuit looks OK - if not the alternator is suspect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts