BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everyone i have a problem with my car and i don't think it is good to be honest.
i have fault codes etc
278a ambient temp sensor
2731 camshaft control inlet
27bb cam shaft control outlet
2776 interface mfl
27cs thermical oil level sensor
2865 power supply
8c terminal r battery light flicking
BE error light module
ee ambient temp
8f over voltage
d7 tank sensor

well i have bin told that i maybe getting all these faults due to a ambient air temp sensor as 1 isnt there and the end of 1 looks like its bin chewd :confused . And the air temp on board computer goes up and down between -40 and minus -17 wont......

And have bin told as over voltage has come up the brushes are more then likely gone in the alternator being the voltage regulator???

let me get to the point you could be driving and battery light will flick on and off straight away and may even do it 3 or 4 times in 1 go like someone took the terminal off the battery then put it on straight away, car does not turn off or anything like that.
And other times like a few hours ago could be driving and no battery light will come up and the revs on the dial will flick up and down rapidly. like it its missing a beat. and when battery light comes on it sort of judders back then goes again am abit worried to be honest . :frown

i got a feeling its to do with the timing due to it being the famous n42 engine, which is just prone to problems, as i have read on the forum. the car is at 62k miles part service history. when i got it i dont an oil change str8 away as it looked like it has never bin changer it was black!
so done an oil change etc oil don't look that bad now!
and have been reading about these engines and some of these problems maybe due to the timing chain tensioner. i haven't got a clue:confused i only know my bits and bobs and as i have read on this forum there is so much hassle with the n42 block and tensioners failing at 50 k miles :eek.

i would usually do the obvious get a regulator for alternator and ambient temp sensor. but am more worried about the timing chain tensioner etc as this will be most cost affective is something does go wrong.

as in my local garage the other day someone went in with a problem with there car that it wouldn't start and brought up 29 fault codes due to a ambient air temp sensor on a 330ci. but my car is starting but getting really bad shudder like i tapped the brakes whilst driving thats when the battery light comes on. am stuck and most probably stuffed like a turkey

please help me as don't know where to start from.
first time i've actually wrote anything on this site!

i would be very happy if someone could tell there opinion on what they think is up.

thankyou

·
Registered
600 Posts
first thing to replace would be the cam shaft sensor the coil packs the then take a look at your MAF sensor
regarding the battery it could be that your alternator is fooked or the battery leads may be loose
get these things checked out first

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there nick316ti
the car doesn't missfire which is strange, as you say it could be a coil pack.
i think you maybe right about the alternator being f***ed i agree.
the thing is all wires have bin run over from battery to alternator there fine.
i wire brushed the chassis to make sure the ground was good enough.
but still no luck.
i know the camshaft sensor appears twice in my diagnostics.
so that maybe the fault too. am in a pickle
thanks for posting on my thread nick316ti :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hi there nick316ti
the car doesn't missfire which is strange, as you say it could be a coil pack.
i think you maybe right about the alternator being f***ed i agree.
the thing is all wires have bin run over from battery to alternator there fine.
i wire brushed the chassis to make sure the ground was good enough.
but still no luck.
i know the camshaft sensor appears twice in my diagnostics.
so that maybe the fault too. am in a pickle
thanks for posting on my thread nick316ti :)
no worries were here to help keep us updated on your findings and hope you get it sorted :thumbsup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts