BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My 530d developed a whirring noise a few months ago that rose with engine revs whether stationery or in gear. It sounds like a pulley or belt and was accompanied by a more mechanical clunking when you listened under the bonnet.

It has since been for a service where I mentioned it and the viscous fan was diagnosed and replaced (£250+). This has holted the more mechanical knocking that was audible under the bonnet but the annoying whirring still persists. Any ideas what this might be?

I've probably had the noise for 5000 miles now and it has gradually got louder but nothing has failed. However I am driving to Germany next month and I just know it will choose to fail somewhere on the continent :D.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I would remove the belt and then run the car, if the noise goes then you will need to check out the pulleys, water pump, alternator e.t.c

It could be any number of the pulleys here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=DL72&mospid=47545&hg=11&fg=18

Another way to check would be to hold a long screwdriver against each pulley area and listen to the handle, the noise will transmit along the shaft giving you a good idea of the culprit

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thought I'd provide feedback - the noise turned out to be the alternator bearings. I'm going with the refurbish route as a BMW item was £500 and a pattern one £300. Getting the brushes and bearings done.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Thought I'd provide feedback - the noise turned out to be the alternator bearings. I'm going with the refurbish route as a BMW item was £500 and a pattern one £300. Getting the brushes and bearings done.
Ouch Rossybrown, who did you try for a alternator?

You rung Euros or GSF?

Cheers for the update :cool

1 - 6 of 6 Posts