BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 530d se touring recently acquired , high miles but full service history. noticed in this cold weather that the temp guage moves quite a bit - always between blue and red but rises when under load and drops going down long hills, movement is about .25 inches. never had this on other cars - is it normal or a thermosat problem? would like to know before warranty runs out.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Have you checked the coolant level?

May need the system re bled?

How hot are the heaters in the car?

BMW temperature gauges always sit bang on the middle line once warmed up which should be relatively quickly:thumbsup

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
coolant level is fine and heater likewise. did seem slow to warm up but put it down to recent extrreme cold.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I would try a new thermostat and then ensure the coolant system is bled correctly, the thermostat on your car is electronically controlled

·
Registered
470 Posts
If it is any help on both my 5 series once they warm up (which does not take very long) the temp needle stays in the middle regardless of load or driving situation (town/traffic/motorway).

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think the temp needle should always sit in the middle when warm to correct temp and should not move regardless of driving load or conditions. You may have an airlock in the system. If you take it to the dealership and it has full history they normally change the coolant every two years even on what they term as 4+ cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for responses, taken it back to garage where purchased and they are also thinking along same lines, ie thermostat. however when they contacted bmw main dealer they said they had never had one fail! have ordered part and will see what happens

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well garage has replaced the thermostat and checked water pump, cleaned the radiator and bled the system and....

well its slightly improved - starts warming up quickly but unless under load it stuggles to get up to normal running temp. however once normal temp reached, traffic or hills, it then seems to hold rock solid. obviously its now a lot warmer than a few weeks ago so dont know if weather or thermostat have caused changes. did notice when i removed the cap on the expansion tank when cold that level rose by about 1cm - does this suggest air still in the system.

my garage is baffled and is now trying to say all is ok but i dont think so. any views appreciated plus can someone tell me where all the points are to bleed the system as i still suspect air in the system. cheers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts