BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, ive had my bmw e46 330i for about a month an it ranout of oil it was really low! so i filled it up with 1.5 litres of oil good stuff racing fuel and after only 800 mile the light came on again and i had to put another 1.5litres of fuel in. this is worrying me as i dont want my engine to be damaged!!!! as i didnt buy it from a genuine bmw dealer!!!
any help would be grateful?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
554 Posts
2000 reg E46 330i Touring, manual

Is it possible that as you get closer to your oil service that oil consumption increases? Perhaps due to the oil filter getting older or the oil being in worse condition?
I got my car last November and topped up around half a litre after a month or so....but can't be sure it was topped right up when I first got it. Then, after a couple of thousand more miles (roughly and by memory) I topped up by another half litre. Recently I topped up again by half a litre and now within 500 miles it needs another half litre. The oil light has only ever come on after switching the ignition off and only after long journeys not short ones. I am due an oil service in 2,200 miles. The car does quite often stand for a day or two in the same spot and I have never seen any evidence of a leak. Also, I am currently using Mobil 1 Supersynthetic 10-40W and it complies with the ACEA A3/B3 and LL01 standards.

Any ideas? A litre of oil per 1000 miles seems a bit much and is certainly quite pricey!

Thinking about it, I've done around 8,000 miles since November, I've certainly put no more than 3 litres of oil in the car in total (which is still a lot compared to other cars that I've driven) but I have certainly put a litre in over the past month or so during which I've driven no more than 1000 miles so that certainly suggests an increased usage recently - and my driving style / type of journeys haven't changed.

Finally, is there any possible difference between adding just half a litre when the light comes on as opposed to topping up and waiting and adding more to ensure that the oil is right to the very top of the dip stick? Eg if I don't top right to the very top is there any chance that it would burn oil faster?

Thanks in advance,
Andy

·
Platinum BFuk Member
554 Posts
Does that mean Oil Change Interval? I bought it late November 08 with 61k on the clock. It had its inspection II 28/12/07 on 56k miles. I'm now on around 68k miles and have probably put nearly 3 litres of oil in. Are you thinking that even though the miles aren't too bad the oil and oil filter are just too old? Thanks, Andy

·
Platinum BFuk Member
554 Posts
Compared to engines....definitely cheap. I'll just have to hold out till my pay cheque hits at the end of the month and then I'll be getting it along to the BMW dealership. They have a 50% labour charge deal for cars over 5 years old. So, new oil filter, oil change - anything else I should be asking them to do at the same time? Thanks, Andy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.