BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks
There is a 330d M series for sale near me. It's 02 and has 102.000 miles - I think they're genuine.
Currently run a Seat Toledo TDi SE (110 hp) from new (2000) that now has 294,000 miles and running sweet as a nut. Original turbo, clutch, engine, turbo, injectors. Have replaced drop links, springs, shocks, bushes many times over the years and regard those items as consumables. The car costs probably 1-1.5 k a year to keep on the road - generally 3 -400 at MOT time.
I've been reading all the posts about the E46 here, and some say don't try and run an E46 on a shoestring. I wouldn't, but my question is would it cost me much more to run than my Toledo? I'd hate to be landed with a bill of 2 or 3 grand for injectors, engine, gearbox etc. but if there were normal consumables as on my Toledo then it wouldn't cost me much more. I'd be hoping to get another 5 years + out of this car (at 20k per year). Price is £2750. I know no one can give a definitive answer, but would people in general recommend an E46 330d with 102k as a car that would go up to 200 - 250k without costing a fortune?

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
The M57 engines in the '02 330d are very very robust and can do intergalactic mileages. They can be killed however.! Normally by failed swirlflaps or old and worn cooling system components, waterpump thermostast ect. The 5 speed manual box will go on forever too.

I would make sure the swirlflaps in the intake manifold have been blanked off and the cooling system is overhauled.

It has been reported that some M57 engines with manual gearbox have no swirlflaps, yet some manual owners have encountered them. Best to check.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
parts for the e46 are no costlier than any other car,loads of after market parts etc,not spent much on mine since oct 13,discs,calipers,other brake bits,etc ,servicing is vital for any car,and make sure fuel filter done,most of the time it gets overlooked as its 30-40 000 mile interval,i change mine every 10-11000 miles,ive changed it twice since i bought car and ive done 22,000 miles in the car,

·
Registered
38 Posts
Also have a 2002 330D facelift with 258-000kms on. Still original clutch. turbo, waterpump etc, only hassles i have had have been 1 injector, front A-arm bushes, burst inlet manifold and leaking power steering pipe. Thought i needed to change fuel pump recently but turned out to be gravel between pump and protection plate causing a vibrating noise :). My model is the one without swirlflaps.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Lol I know, 140k and the output bearing has gone, I thought I was nice to it lol
I think a problem like mine is 1 in a million, even the Indy couldn't believe it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts