BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an Inspection 1 carried out the other day along with brake fluid and coolant change. Today I had a check of the oil level using the dip stick and am confused because the oil on the stick is jet black. Is this normal?

I assumed that once the oil had been changed, the dip stick should be yellowy/orange in colour. At least for a little while anyway.

Any thoughts :confused:confused:confused

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I had an Inspection 1 carried out the other day along with brake fluid and coolant change. Today I had a check of the oil level using the dip stick and am confused because the oil on the stick is jet black. Is this normal?

I assumed that once the oil had been changed, the dip stick should be yellowy/orange in colour. At least for a little while anyway.

Any thoughts :confused:confused:confused
Diesels with EGR are notorious for having dirty oil, when you change it it's very common for it to still look black when dipped with fresh in, you can try a engine flush but still then you have "sooty" oil that sits in the head e.t.c :frown

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's ok then. It just made me wonder whether they had changed it or not. Impossible to tell I suppose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts