BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 320d touring is suffering from engine vibrations being transmitted through to the bodyshell and me! The engine has been checked and is running ok, but before I think about changing the engine mounts, has anybody had this problem before, and if so what was the fix?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You can check the engine mounts by placing a block of wood on top of a trolley jack and carefully jacking the engine up slightly, you should then be able to see if the mounts are split. Will be a good idea to check the gearbox mounts as well.

How much does the engine appear to move when looking under the bonnet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi mate check the donut on the propshaft and the prop support bearing,mine has just had the same sort of problem,it sent me mad it came in at about 70mph and at 80 mph it was unbearable .everybody said it was tyres or a wheel bearing,but it wasnt .you can normaly tell if your engine mount are gone coz they will have oil round the top of them because they are oil filled.and when they split it comes out.but it does depend on how long they have been split.any way good look.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can check the engine mounts by placing a block of wood on top of a trolley jack and carefully jacking the engine up slightly, you should then be able to see if the mounts are split. Will be a good idea to check the gearbox mounts as well.

How much does the engine appear to move when looking under the bonnet?
Many thanks for the reply! Will try this and see!
Looking under the bonnet,the engine appears to line up with bulkhead etc.and does not jump or bang when turned on or off, so I assumed that the mounts are not broken,but thought they may just be weak or knackered.
Gary

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi mate check the donut on the propshaft and the prop support bearing,mine has just had the same sort of problem,it sent me mad it came in at about 70mph and at 80 mph it was unbearable .everybody said it was tyres or a wheel bearing,but it wasnt .you can normaly tell if your engine mount are gone coz they will have oil round the top of them because they are oil filled.and when they split it comes out.but it does depend on how long they have been split.any way good look.
Thank you. The vibration is all the time, even if stationary, but will check for oil around the mounts as I thought they were just lumps of rubber, did not know they were oil filled.

Thanks Gary

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have the same problem now with my 320d 2002 touring. Sudenly, yesterday it's started to vibrate very badly, so now I can hear the noise.

Do you have any idea how long does it take to change mounts?

Thanks very much,
Elena

·
Registered
432 Posts
A few hours, The n/s is easy enough but the o/s is a bit of a pain to remove the top nut on the mount.

Car on axle stands, remove bottom plastic covers, undo the two bolts on the steering rack and pull it forward to gain better access to the mounts. Undo the engine mount bolts, block of wood under the sump and lift the engine up with a jack a few inches and remove the mounts. :thumbsup

The o/s mount is the most common to fail, the other will more than likely be ok. Also make sure you get the proper diesel mounts, not petrol ones like I did :hihi

·
Registered
3 Posts
A few hours, The n/s is easy enough but the o/s is a bit of a pain to remove the top nut on the mount.

Car on axle stands, remove bottom plastic covers, undo the two bolts on the steering rack and pull it forward to gain better access to the mounts. Undo the engine mount bolts, block of wood under the sump and lift the engine up with a jack a few inches and remove the mounts. :thumbsup

The o/s mount is the most common to fail, the other will more than likely be ok. Also make sure you get the proper diesel mounts, not petrol ones like I did :hihi
Thank you very much.
Could you please explain what o/c means? I am not very good at mechanical works.
I spoke to BMW dealer and they quote me for 84£ both mounts. Is it good?
Do I have to buy genuine or I can get them from any part shops?

Thanks
Elena

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.