BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I've had my 318 for a couple of weeks, today for some reason the dash was beeping at me, but when I looked I couldn't see any warning lights.

I stopped and watched the dash for a bit and periodically (every minute maybe) it would beep and show a temperature of -40°C.

I'm guessing that this is the external temp guage? The -40°C would only be displayed for a fraction of a second. (I had to watch it a few times until I caught what it said.)

After showing this temp the dash reverted to 50°C - which seems to always be displayed if I cycle through the readout options on the dash (along with mpg the clock, odometer etc...)

So, what are these two temperatures? I'm guessing external and engine? Is this correct? And I'm also guessing that there is a fault with the external thermometer? Can I replace it? Is it easy?

TIA,

James

·
Registered
11 Posts
That reading is from the ambient temp sensor located in your o/s bumper's air duct. You may want to check the connections to it James.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Neal.

Is it just the ambient temp shown on the dash readout? I thought that I was looking at two different readings but I guess that if there is an error, it is jumping between +50 and -40...?

James

·
Registered
11 Posts
Only the outside ambient is shown. That jumping of temperatures sounds like a connection problem. Either that or you have lost the sensor all together and the control module inside the instrument cluster is confused.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts