BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right guys you wont belive this my bemmer is back from bmw main dealer had it four days went out to it today it started but eml light came on and car just ideld between just under 1000rpm to 1500rmp fluctuating up and down would not rev push the gas pedal and nothing pluged in my peak tool and got the folowing error codes

2799=abourtDV-adaption because of environment
2793=DK actuator regulator area
2785=DK POTETIOMETER
2786=throttle valve potentiometer 1
2787=throttle valve potentiometer 2

now i left the car for a few hours it started up fine and reved fine but engine light was on i have cleared all the fault codes and the car is driving fine

could this be a dodgy throttle position sensor ?
i really need some advice as main dealer is phoning me tomorrow
cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
right guys you wont belive this my bemmer is back from bmw main dealer had it four days went out to it today it started but eml light came on and car just ideld between just under 1000rpm to 1500rmp fluctuating up and down would not rev push the gas pedal and nothing pluged in my peak tool and got the folowing error codes

2799=abourtDV-adaption because of environment
2793=DK actuator regulator area
2785=DK POTETIOMETER
2786=throttle valve potentiometer 1
2787=throttle valve potentiometer 2

now i left the car for a few hours it started up fine and reved fine but engine light was on i have cleared all the fault codes and the car is driving fine

could this be a dodgy throttle position sensor ?
i really need some advice as main dealer is phoning me tomorrow
cheers
Your TPS is built into your accelerator pedal set up, so you may be correct in your assumption. The potentiometer (variable resistor) in there may be at fault.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right mrs was driving the car this morning and she says the engine light came on i went out to the car got the same fault codes along with another fault code 279a=throttle flap adation-abort after reaching now i tried to clear the codes with my peak tool and it cleared all the other codes exept 279a

so i checked the wiring going to the tps moved the cabels about a bit then the code cleared when i tryed again with my peak tool i really hope it the tps

anything else it could be am waiting on bmw phoning me back ah think i will get them to check it anyway as there diagnostic equipment is way better than mine

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, if they confirm the TPS, then you know what to do :thumbsup. Their labour rate would be minimum 1/2 hr work....unless they come back with your car requiring a new throttle body :eek

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ohhh god dont let it be the throttle body its just had 1600 spent on it replacing the eccentric shaft and all the rocker levers granted it wasent me that paid for it but god this is getting ridiculis now i have had the car 2 month
and so far bmw have fitted 1 intake pipe 4 coil packs one breather pipe a camshaft sensor and the eccentric shaft and rocker levers all this on a 44k car i think i may have indeed bought a lemon

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
2799,throttle valve adaptation. abort due to environmental conditions. The DME stores this fault when the signal from the sensor is outside of the sensors valid parameter range. Check wiring, sensor and plug.

2793,throttle actuator control range. The DME stores this fault when it detects a fault with the throttle control actuator. Faulty Throttle Position Sensor, Throttle Valve Position Sensor, Throttle Valve Position Actuator or Faulty Throttle Switch.

2786, Throttle valve potentiometer 1. The DME stores this fault when the signal from the sensor is outside of the sensors valid parameter range. Check wiring, sensor and plug.

2787, Throttle valve potentiometer 2. The DME stores this fault when the signal from the sensor is outside of the sensors valid parameter range. Check wiring, sensor and plug.

279A, The DME stores this fault when it detects a fault with the Throttle control actuator.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well just got back from work and bmw are recovering the car tomorrow at 8.30 oh just to ad there is all the above fault codes plus another so this is now 6 in total 2783=hot film air mass meter why all these faults after being in bmw stealers for 2 weeks out on the road for 4 days and this happens i somehow doubt this is all down to the tps infact i would go as far to say i think they may have cut some corners on the repair as i have been told by the service manager that he had to discount the cost of the repair it was in for from 1600 to 1000 as its the garage i bought the car off that is paying

from what i gather replacing the eccentric shaft and all rocker levers is a fairly big job and lots of sensors and wiring would have been unplugged

i go into bmw main dealer with one set of 4 fault codes and come back four days later with six
cars these days are so bloody complicated sensors for this sensors for that fault code readers witch are ment to point you in the right direction ah but the engine is more efficiant they run better get better emissions yea when they bloody work

ONE THING IS FOR SURE I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER BMW EVER
SHOULD HAVE STUCK TO MERCEDES BENZ

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You've been unlucky :frown

I remember when you said you had seen the car for sale and I commented it sounded dodgy, I will have my fingers crossed for you that it's nothing big. :thumbsup

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks ronnie but theres way too many faults for it to be somthing small the dash was lit up like a christmas tree EML was on the traction control light was on and there was another light on (!) to the right of the traction control light

the thing i am kicking myself for is i worked as a hgv mechanic for a while ive changed engines and done cylinder heads from anything from an austin mini to a celica gt4 changed turbos am handy with a spanner but this thing is nuts i used to bridge 2 connections with a paper clip and counted how many times the engine light flashed to get the fault code and repair my celica

the one time i spend over 1200 quid on a car thinking ah nice and reliable for work no more working out in the car park bent over the top of the engine replacing the head gasket or nursing another 15 year old car through another mot

but no ave never had this mutch trouble with anyother car i have owned since i first passed my test 12 year ago and i have owned some right sheds

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
right all is not lost i have sourced an throttle body from a breaker 60 quid plus vat plus delivery not to bad i thought how hard is it to fit does anyone know ?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
throttle hosing 312 quid fitted by dealer got car back today wonder how long it will last this time before it throws up a fault code the longest so far is 4 days lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
throttle hosing 312 quid fitted by dealer got car back today wonder how long it will last this time before it throws up a fault code the longest so far is 4 days lol
Did that fix yout problem buddy? Mine is experiencing similar random unrelated errors and idling all over the place.
Replaced just about everything else except throttle body!
Cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts