BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

I've been browsing this forum via google for days now watching/trying solutions to my problem. I left my house (reversed) without an issue, long drive to my brothers house. On leave, reversed of his driveway with little/no reverse, very weak.

So far, I've drained the transmission the best I could and refilled it following guides online with almost 10 litres of new transmission oil. Scrolled through the gears manually with foot on the break, refilled a little more until drips.

Just as before I got reverse back a little more but this time I noticed its being effected by full lock left or right on the steering. If i turn left or right the reverse stops.. and I get no power.. why the power steering is having an affect on the transmission?

I do believe I may need to topup the transmission under the car a little more tomorrow but in the mean time was hoping somebody here could explain.

There is also a reservoir in the engine bay also labelled "ATF" is this purely for power steering?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Box is more than likely terminal no reverse fault is very common...

https://www.facebook.com/pg/lonestarbavarian/photos/?tab=album&album_id=829769490414202

Thank you very much for this. The plan of action tomorrow is to tilt the car one side so I can fill the box with more transmission fluid. If this fails to solve the problem I will then follow you guide to check the valve body for any obstructions. Whats the likely HUD of the reverse drum being totalled? Would blocked jetways cause the effect of the gearbox not correctly being in reverse and resulting in very slow almost like the clutch is shot?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I didn't think they took 10ltr as you can't drain the tc.
Had my x5 5 speed and 320d e90 6 speed oil changed and it was around 6 to 7ltr can't remember.
Don't know what happens if you over fill the box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New Results

I again, ran the engine and topped up the transmission fluid with the engine running.

Driving up hill then reversing back had little power but all of a sudden engaged full power in reverse (normal). Once i switched back to drive the issue with slow/none-existent reverse recurred.

Switching from park to drive you can hear the gearbox engage/click and drive as normal with full power.
Switching from park to reverse, reverse works but with minimum power and again slow/none-existent but it worked.

I spent a good hour cycling the gearbox and gears, going forward and back.

At this point I believe the gearbox is OK but the valve body is blocked/partially or the reverse solenoid has shot it.

Thank you all for contributing as I know its very difficult to diagnose an issue without sometimes being physically present. Any suggestions/help going forward is much appreciated.

The next steps I think is to strip down the valve body clean all seals etc and rebuild. If this does not solve the problem, replace the reverse solenoid?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts