BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2001 (Feb) E46 320d Touring - Codes & Maf flow rates?

Hi Everyone :).

New kiddie (well...crumbly old f**t to be precise) here to play.

Just taken delivery of my shiny new toy (as per the title) and I've got a couple of questions that I'm certain will be simple for you all but beyond me at the moment :duh.

From what I've gathered over the last few days of searching the site, I've got (please correct me if I'm wrong) an early, 136bhp M47 engine without the nasty swirl vanes and with the stronger turbo.

The car is generally sound considering its age & mileage and the garage selling it were, and still are, extremely helpful (first time I've experienced that I promise you) :thumbsup.

When I test drove it, it seemed a little sluggish, so I asked if they could check it out for me. Mechanic duly plugged in the 'Snap-On' diagnostic gizmo that showed fault code 27 (auxiliary heating), fault code 8 (can't remember) and a flow rate of 250mg for the Maff Meter.

I remember seeing somewhere on the site that the Maff Meter should be flowing 450 - 500mg but typically for one of such advanced years as myself, I can't find the thread again to see which engine it applied to.

Before I go throwing lots of pennies in the wrong direction, is there an enlightened, wise sage out there that could help explain the codes and verify the Maff flow?

It might be worth mentioning that aforesaid garage man has quite happily agreed to get me a new Maff if this one is duff, as well as booking me in to the local main stealer, at his own expense :jaw-dropping,to get a problem with the keys sorted out (buttons don't work so no remote central locking).

There are a couple of other very minor problems with the car but one step at a time eh?

Cheers guys.

Sooty

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response StK.

The filters are the first things on my big, long list of things to do to my new toy when the weekend comes.

As I haven't had chance to have a serious look under the bonnet yet, I'm presuming that it's just the air filter to worry about, or are there some others quietly lurking in small, dark places to catch out half-wits like me ? :)

Even when I do get the filters checked out, it would still be handy to know what the meter should be flowing so that I can keep an eye on it.

Also, do you have any info on the codes I mentioned?

Sooty

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hello welcome. I think i can help as i had the same problem as you with my E46 D SE 2001 Reg 136 bhp.
My car had the same problem with the air intake at 250 mlg which is half of what it should be getting. It should be around 450-500 mlg. I took it to a BMW garage and i was told the car had a faulty airflow meter. That cost me 250 euros fitted and ECU reset. But you also need to change the air filter together with the turbo one. Make sure you buy a good filter cos the one i had bought before i went to the BMW dealer was crap. The performance difference its unbeliveble. I loved the car afterwards.
If you have any other questions we are here to help.

Reactions: Sooty

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks Shiku84.

One Turbo filter added to my list for the weekend.

It may sound a stupid question (bear with me please) but why does the ECU need to be reset after a meter change? Previous BM's I've owned (several E30's) have had adaptive ECU's that learn their new settings from being driven around. Seems a bit starnge to me :confused

Anyway, now for the codes and the keys :)

Sooty

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Deano16v :applause.

I was obviously having a senior moment not to realise it was something so simple :blush :duh

If the rest of the world would'nt mind waiting quietly for an hour or so, I'll try to catch up :D

Sooty

·
Registered
450 Posts
Many thanks Shiku84.

One Turbo filter added to my list for the weekend.

It may sound a stupid question (bear with me please) but why does the ECU need to be reset after a meter change? Previous BM's I've owned (several E30's) have had adaptive ECU's that learn their new settings from being driven around. Seems a bit starnge to me :confused

Anyway, now for the codes and the keys :)

Sooty
Well at BMW they fitted the new style airflow meter the same one as the 150 bhp cars have so they told me it had to be done. Besides the airflow meter it self did not make any difference until he reset the ECU. It had to be done because the ECU would not recognize the new airflow meter. :lol:lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many thanks for the link Ronnie :thumbsup

Unfortunately, after reading through it, I'm now going to have to lie down in a darkened room for a while because my brain hurts:eye-popping

I'm really glad the salesman said he'd get it sorted. It means that I can pass him the info and he can have the headache while I just wait for him to sort it.

I'll keep this post updated :)

Sooty

·
Registered
450 Posts
Also to add, the 136bhp cars do not have swirl flaps. :)

And see here for info on whether the car needs recoding if you've had a certain type of MAF fitted. http://www.air-mass-meter.com/2008/bmw/0-928-400-527-or-0-928-400-314-–-re-programming-needed/
Yeah thats exactly the one i fitted on my car the one prior to that did not have the sensor cover in the middle and only had a mesh in front for air cleaning the new model has plastic and mesh coupled with the sensor protection bit in the middle. As i said before after i done the replacement i was well chuffed with the car. When i bought i never realized that the car was in trouble cos i never had a diesel car before so i just thought it was a diesel and did not expect much in terms of performance! ha boy was i wrong?:lol:lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Just to keep this updated:-

Because of one thing and another, I haven't got round to doing the filter & fluid changes yet, however it's all scheduled for next Monday regardless of family crisis, pet gerbils dying or Armageddon :D

One thing I can't find on the ETK though, is the Turbo filter. Does anyone have a good number for it please?

Salesman (true to his word) got and fitted a new MAF meter and what a difference it makes. I've actually got acceleration :thumbsup:thumbsup

Can't wait to get the EGR cleaned as well.

Sooty

PS. regarding the problem with the remote central locking; it turns out that there is a two core ribbon cable, made of laquered paper FFS, connecting the recieving aerial built into the rear screen, to the amplifier hidden under the rear spoiler.

In my case, this ribbon has snapped in two.

Can it be repaired one asks oneself??????

Can it **** says the three auto sparkies I showed it to.

So thats £300 plus for a new rear screen thank you very much, all because some retarded Germanic half-wit was dragged out of the local special needs establishment and told to save quarter of a pfennig per car by not using ordinary wire cabling when designing the remote locking system.

Me? Unimpressed? I wonder why.

Luckily, when I bought the car, the salesman acknowledged that it would have to be fixed so he's picking up the tab for that as well

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
I assume the "Turbo Filter" you mention is described as the Oil Breather Part No. 11127791552 shown here Item 8 RealOEM.

To be 100% on this Sooty place your last 7 digits into RealOEM press the "search" button and all your cars details should appear?

Now press the "Browse Parts" button, then select Engine in the main group table, followed by "Cylinder Head" in the Subgroup.

Finally double click the 3rd image "CYLINDER HEAD COVER" and look down the table until you find "Breather". :thumbsup

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Slowtech

The turbo filter was mentioned by 'Shiku84' in post #4.

At that point, I hadn't looked under the bonnet or checked through Realoem or the ETK, so I assumed that a seperate filter (presumably oil) was fitted in the oil feed line to the turbo.

Now that I've had a chance too look, I can see that the breather is more than likely to be the one he was referring to (according to the ETK, it's also fitted to the E39 520d BTW).

Thanks for the clarification :thumbsup

Sooty

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
The turbo filter was mentioned by 'Shiku84' in post #4.
IIRC he has the same engine as yourself, you could always PM him to clarify?

Now that I've had a chance too look, I can see that the breather is more than likely to be the one he was referring to (according to the ETK, it's also fitted to the E39 520d BTW).
yep ,they're the same engine M47 ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts