BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
no fluid to rear wiperwasher E53 2001 X5

Hi All

I have a BMW X5 on a 51 plate 3.0l petrol I have noticed the rear screen washer has stopped working, the wiper blade moves when activated but no water is coming out, there is fluid in the washer bottle.

I cant hear the pump working but cant remember if i could hear it when the washer was working ok

Would be grateful if anyone could help me check if there any obvious fixes ive also checked the fuse and it seems to be ok other than wouldnt have a clue what to look for next

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
A couple of things to check , but you need to remove the 2 x 10mm nuts holding the washer bottle down - ease the bottle up and forward to get to the two pumps at the back. One is the front washer , the other the rear - the larger pump at the side is the headlamp washer . The first thing I would check is the filters - pull the top of the pump outwards and pull it up out of the washer bottle . This leaves two rubber grommets , these just pull out and on the bottom of each is a gauze filter , mine were gunged up . A quick wash in warm soapy water fixed the problem .

If they are ok then try switching the two pumps , they are interchangeable .
Swap the pipes and electrical plugs over and check if the problem has changed to the front washers

I got a pump on ebay for about £10

1 - 3 of 3 Posts