BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Ok problem started a few weeks back, engine cut out whilst coasting along seafront momentarily, battery light came on and it juddered a bit but was then fine. Happened a few more times during the week and then (when the mrs was driving it) it cut out, she pulled to the side of the road, turned the key and it was turning over but wouldn't start. She tried 2 or 3 times before calling me. As we spoke a period of 5 mins or so had passed so I asked her to try it again, and it started!
A few days later the exact same thing happened to me. Wouldn't start but was turning over, left it for 5 mins, tried again and it fired! Finally, I was on the bypass doing 70mph and it cut again. I tried bumping it as I was coming to a standstill but it wouldn't go. This time it didn't want to start if I left it for 5 or even 10 mins. I got it towed and went back for it the next day. It started first time, got about a mile down the road and then cut out and wouldn't start again. This is now a repeating pattern. Starts ok, get a mile or so down the road and cuts out again.

Sorry for the long story but I'm trying to be as thorough as possible!

Got it plugged in yesterday and this is what came up!

Carsoft BMW Ultimate
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date : 31/05/2013 20:35:35

ECU Information:

Part Number : 143396
Supplier : Bosch
Hardware No : 10
Diagnostic Index : 13
Coding Index : 11
Production Date : 30.5.01
Catalog : 0.17.22
Function Software : 6.255.255
Operating Software : 2.3.3
Variant Index : 12364
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fault Code : F28D7

28D7 Communication with dynamo

Fault Code : F2780

2780 Krankshaft position sensor – reference point

Fault Code : F27BB

27BB Output camshaft regulation

Fault Code : F277F

277F Krankshaft position sensor – rpm signal

Fault Code : F2782

2782 Output camshaft sensor

Now I've googled this and looked on a few forums but all seem to give slightly different opinions, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From googling people seem to agree its either the crankshaft sensor or the cam sensor? Not sure where to start tbh

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got the same problem on my 318ci n42 engine and have replaced all the cam shaft sensors and crankshaft sensor. Also replaced the chain tensioner and............ Still showing inlet and exhaust cam faulty!? Doing my head in now!

·
Registered
600 Posts
i also have the same problem..... any light on this problem yet ....the only part i havent changed is the crankshaft sensor altho i dont have that fault code come up
edit ..just checked the codes and wallah 277f crankshaft sensor

A crank position sensor is an electronic device used in an internal combustion engine to monitor the position or rotational speed of the crankshaft. This information is used by engine management systems to control ignition system timing and other engine parameters. Before electronic crank sensors were available, the distributor would have to be manually adjusted to a timing mark on the engine.

The crank sensor can be used in combination with a similar camshaft position sensor to monitor the relationship between the pistons and valves in the engine, which is particularly important in engines with variable valve timing. This method is also used to "synchronise" a four stroke engine upon starting, allowing the management system to know when to inject the fuel. It is also commonly used as the primary source for the measurement of engine speed in revolutions per minute.

Common mounting locations include the main crank pulley, the flywheel, the camshaft or on the crankshaft itself. This sensor is the most important sensor in modern day engines. When it fails, there is a chance the engine will not start, or cut out while running.
im changing all three sensors now let you know how i get on

1 - 6 of 6 Posts