BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We have just got an E46 330 Cabriolet and have a problem with the glove box.

The glove box lid was stuck shut, we have managed to prise it open with a thin blade, but are unsure what is wrong or how it works.

We do know that when the central locking operates something moves in the glove box locking mechanism.

Can someone please tell me:
(a) What the three (left/centre/right) key positions are?
(b) What the micro switch does?
(c) Is there a common fault with this mechanism?
(d) Is the mechanism (or parts of it) common to other models?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi,
Took the glove box handle/lock mechanism apart and found that the soldered connections to the micro switch have broken off.

Not sure if this should effect the locking of the glove box though?.

Thought that the micro switch was just to lock the boot when the glove box was locked?

Would appreciate a clue on how the glove box lock should work (ie what the three key positions should do).

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Thought another cabriolet owner would have answered this by now. This is all I have:

Glovebox lock
On the E46 cabriolet, the glovebox is locked and unlocked by means of an electric lock drive. The drive is activated by means of the general module of the central body electronics (ZKE).

Function
The glovebox is locked or unlocked electrically when the central locking is operated either via the remote control or via the driver's door lock.

In addition, the glovebox can be permanently locked by means of mechanical lock (hotel position). The rear lid cannot be opened by means of the rear lid button when the hotel position is set.

I would connect the switch up again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi gildersol, thanks for the info .......... will get it re-soldered tomorrow.

Can you tell me how the key works, it has three positions left/centre/right, I am not sure what each position is?

Thanks,
Mike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, soldered the wires back onto the micro switch and screwed it together ...... but it is still not working.

The central locking is activating the glove box lock, but still unable to release the catch to open the lid with the handle, although still not sure which direction to turn the key to unlock it?

Is there a common fault with these handles or catches?

Mike

·
Registered
90 Posts
Master key only will open the glove box, turn key clockwise (horizontal) to lock, anti-clockwise (vertical) to open. Turning key fully to the left opens the compartment without having to use the latch. Remote locking secures all doors and glove compartment. Locking glove compartment with master key also locks boot when car is unlocked using the remote, therefore you have to use the remote to open boot. Hope this helps. If not take car and keys to local Beemer dealer and have them sort the problem out...

·
Registered
3 Posts
E46 Glove Box Lock Fault

Hi all... new member !!

Glove box stuck in the locked position ???

For anyone that's having the same problems (just fixed mine) you'll normally find one or both of two faults causing the problem.

A) The wires have broken away from the switch > Fix = Have it/them re-soldered !

and/or.....

B) The white plastic part within the lock turns to move the lock open and closed... if the round white part is flat on the back (ie; without a small white protruding part attached) that's the fault.. the white small post has snapped off > Fix = If you can find the broken tiny part within your glove box or on your floor mat, retrieve it and try some good quality glue (possibly ABS plastic glue ?). Ensure the part is fixed rock hard before re-assembly.

If this doesn't work it's a trip to a dealer for this part.. take your parts with you as they have the part no's on.. saves time but not your hard earned cash !!!

Can't afford the dealer part ?... try a salvage/breakers yard. It'll take some messing around if you want to use your original key barrell though !!!

Hope this helps !

·
Registered
285 Posts
This seems to be a really weird thing with convertibles. I've had mine for about 6 weeks and when I open the car with the (master) remote key the glovebox is always locked. It doesn't matter if the key is horizontal or vertical. Then I openthr drivers door shut it lock and unlock and this allows me to open it-weird!! I can fond no rhyme or reason for this being locked!
I'll have a look for the wee White bit. . . .

·
Registered
285 Posts
Right guys I finally got round to striping my glovebox latch/switch on my 2006 convertible which was causing me problems (along with a few other members!!) On opening the switch up i found my wee white bit to still be attached, so i opened up the other section and found the lock mechanism is a small electric motor joined via a toothed wheel to a plastic section on a screw arrangement. When locking and unlocking this part moves the mechanism so that it will or wont operate ie when open or locked!
I found the wee screw part to have become dislodged from where it should have been, causing the lock part to jam. I noticed that this section is a wee bit loose and one of the ends where the screw fits is a bit loose so it may happen again. I have refitted all the parts in the corrrect place and alls well it operates as it should!!!
I have taken a few photographs which might make more sense than my attempts to describe it!!

Reactions: baddad

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seven years on from your post an Im hoping this will fix mine.
Does anyone know if, the eclectic to the handle it self (the two brown wires) is shorting out. Would this stop my roof going down. I'm new to forums so I may have just really offened someone by posting this. Sorry in advance

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have a 2004 E46 cabriolet with same problem on glovebox.
Can anyone tell me where to buy replacement lock? I have tried Ebay and BMW dealership, but all seem crazy expensive, however I know they are rare second hand.

Also, can anyone tell me if a standard E46 glove box lock can be used instead ?
I know I won't have the remote central locking function afterwards, but happy enough with that if I thought it would work as much more available to buy.

Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have a 2004 E46 cabriolet with same problem on glovebox.
Can anyone tell me where to buy replacement lock? I have tried Ebay and BMW dealership, but all seem crazy expensive, however I know they are rare second hand.

Also, can anyone tell me if a standard E46 glove box lock can be used instead ?
I know I won't have the remote central locking function afterwards, but happy enough with that if I thought it would work as much more available to buy.

Thanks
you have your cars in valet mode.

go to your car and unlock the boot with the key (turning to the right - clockwise to unlock it)

unlocking your boot by turning the key to the left puts the car in valet mode including your glove box.

most People have done this by accident at some point when opening the boot with the key to get the dead battery

1 - 14 of 14 Posts