BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Before you buy them, check with the guy and make sure they are 4 electrodes. His pic shows one with 2, and he has a low FB.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good point, will do. But surely if they're the correct NGK part number (BKR6EQUP) they should definitely have 4?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
had a look on GSF's site, but they don't list NGK plugs, only Bosch which I've heard aren't as good. Might give em a ring tomorrow, have a trade account with em anyway...

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
bosch ive seen quite a few missfire issues and poor mpg on bosch ones..

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've heard bad things about the Bosch ones too.

I presume putting M3 plugs in a 330i wouldn't offer any benefit?

What's different about them?

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
M3 plugs would either be exactly the same, or if not, different for the design of heat management.

By that, they can be designed to hold heat, or lose heat, and it's tailored to match the engine to keep the plugs at the right temperature to keep them clean.

The Number you'll see in a plug name is usually it's heat range, 6 on the NGK scale is what you engine needs.
A "cold" plug would conduct more heat away and may start to foul.
A "hot" plug would hold onto the heat and if fitted in the wrong engine could make the car pre-ignite.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i am sure that i read on here sometime ago,that the four electrode type plugs were not recommended.....thats why i put ngk iridiums in mine????

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
i am sure that i read on here sometime ago,that the four electrode type plugs were not recommended.....thats why i put ngk iridiums in mine????
they are what they come out the factory with and not iridiums..

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ran Beru in my 318it they seemed good to me. Did quite a few laps of Nurburgring, boucing of the rev limeter. They were single piont, fine wire type. I'm not so convinced 2point or 4 point are any better? Spark will only jump on one point at a time. Easiest / lowest resistance point. I came to the conclusion, 4 point is just a way of hoping the plug, will last longer. As in 4 chances to spark on. As the plug gap gets worn, on one of the 4, spark will jump on the next lowest resistance gap.

Also its much easier to check the plug gap on single points.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
its more for the BMW 60k minimum renew service intervals and maintenance free angle more than anything else, i doubt a single point or or a twin point would last that long and would need regapping at some point in its lifecycle, where as 4 point the spark will naturally jump to the shortest gap thus wearing the 4 points down eavenly at a far lesser wear rate, giving a long none gapping lifecycle..

it all depends on your own servicing ethos and regime..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts