BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again all,

i was driving the car last night and its the first time i pushed down the pedeal, the pick up was amazing, however when i pulled up i noticed a whinning nosie comming from the engine. it comes and goes as you drive but makes no differnce to drivining and no light has come on.

you do you think it could be because of the cold weather? i thought it could be the fan belt but the fan (the big one) is still spining, any thoughts? :eek

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all bmw engines exhibit a well-engineered whine when pushed.
no untoward noises at idle speeds?
it kinda dies down after a while at idele but when you start to drive comes back.

could it be the V-Belt tensioners, been reading the mag that a funny noise comming form the front end could be mean this?

how much am i looking at for this?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You will need to grab a long screwdriver and hold it to different parts of the engine and pulley areas, then hold your ear to the handle and use it like a stethoscope, the noise will transmit along the screwdriver shaft.

Or you could remove the drive belt and run the engine and see if the noise goes, then with engine off spin the pulleys and guides,water pump and alternator e.t.c

or use a stethoscope http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht171-mechanics-stethoscope/path/automotive-tools

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You will need to grab a long screwdriver and hold it to different parts of the engine and pulley areas, then hold your ear to the handle and use it like a stethoscope, the noise will transmit along the screwdriver shaft.

Or you could remove the drive belt and run the engine and see if the noise goes, then with engine off spin the pulleys and guides,water pump and alternator e.t.c

or use a stethoscope http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht171-mechanics-stethoscope/path/automotive-tools
ooo dont know if i can do that....was thinking of taking it into a garage! what i want to know is if it is the v-blet tensioner is it a vital it get asap or can it wait till the weather gets better?

also would AA help if i call them?

roughly how much would that cost me?

thanks for all the help so far!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
ooo dont know if i can do that....was thinking of taking it into a garage! what i want to know is if it is the v-blet tensioner is it a vital it get asap or can it wait till the weather gets better?

also would AA help if i call them?

roughly how much would that cost me?

thanks for all the help so far!
AA will be no good, take it into a Indy and get them to check it out, if it is the tensioner then providing it's not really noisy you should be OK for a short time but best to get it checked sooner rather than later :thumbsup

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AA will be no good, take it into a Indy and get them to check it out, if it is the tensioner then providing it's not really noisy you should be OK for a short time but best to get it checked sooner rather than later :thumbsup
will do! how much do you think it will cost if it is that?

·
Registered
359 Posts
umar what was the problem in the end cause my car has the same symptoms that when i drive a a set speed it whines quite loud and the same when you slow down.

i was thinking maybe the flywheel is bad.

cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
i took it to a garage and they reckon its the rear wheel bearing
Hi guys.

Just joined the site. Hope you are all well.

My car had the same problem on my car. The problem was a vacum leak. I had a look at the oil seperator hoses under the manifold and one of them had a hole in it. Changed it, it still sound like that. Later on, I realized that lower air intake boot ( second piece after the MAF down there) was broken. I changed that and since then, I have had no problems at all.

You might wanna have a look at those areas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts