BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, my belovved 330 Sport has developed a pretty big oil leak and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any common weak spots on the 330 lump?

When looking under the car I can see plenty of oil dripping off the back of the undertray but I haven't been under to take a full look. From the amount of visible oil it looks as thought it's been leaking for a while.

I've checked for mayonaise under the oil cap (there's none) and the coolant is perfectly clear. She seems fine on the power front too, isn't using any coolant and temperatures seem normal, so I don't think it's anything too serious (praying it's not). Any ideas where to start?

Cheers

Rich :thumbsup

·
Registered
247 Posts
Remove undertray, clean and inspect - if its big it will reveal itself pretty quick. Rocker cover gaskets go at the half moon indents on the rear of the engine...

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
never heard of a 330 leaking oil ever...

stripped or poorly fitted sump plug but thats too far back to leak onto the undertray i think..

·
Registered
247 Posts
never heard of a 330 leaking oil ever...
Its more common than you think on the half moons due to nominal retraction of the rubber seal over time. Its not often that they bleed large amounts of oil though

Typically around the 110-130k mile mark

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
yeah but it would be visable but from this guys description i dont think he can see any obvious leaks..

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
sure its not power steering fluid?

seems more logical running off the undertray the hosework is directly above it..

do hope its not a main crank seal tho or summat, would be a first tho..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guys. Mileage is 106k, no obvious signs of the leak from the top of the bay but it's definitely leaking engine oil from somewhere.

Looks like I'll be under it over the weekend - I hope it's a small leak that's been there for a while and collected.

·
Registered
223 Posts
mine leaks from bottom of the oil filter housing, where pipe joins i think, i havent looked yet, bloody annoying cos the engine/gearbox were spotlessly dry, and have been since iv owned it, a week or so before the mot is due, this happens! i dont wana blooming advisory on a oil leak! hate advisories.

·
Registered
947 Posts
+1 for oil filter housing leak - very common, and very messy.

Mine has been leaking a while and has managed to soak half the gearbox and even shows as oil spots on the rear bumber.

Got the bits, need the time.

BTW usually caused by overzealous tightening of the oil filter lid!

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
sure its not power steering fluid?

seems more logical running off the undertray the hosework is directly above it..

do hope its not a main crank seal tho or summat, would be a first tho..
+1. Either PAS or gearbox maybe? It should be easy enough to eliminate (or not) engine oil as the level should fall?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
+1 for oil filter housing leak - very common, and very messy.

Mine has been leaking a while and has managed to soak half the gearbox and even shows as oil spots on the rear bumber.

Got the bits, need the time.

BTW usually caused by overzealous tightening of the oil filter lid!

+1 for oil filter housing - common fault on E46's

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 330D developed a fairly large but invisible oil leak. After investigation it turned out someone had removed the dipstick tube and replaced it and cut the rubber O-ring in half. The leak only happened when the engine was running.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts