BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
... I unplug the MAF, DISA or VANOS?

I had the engine running today, opened the bonnet and dicsonnected the MAF sensor plug. Engine revs dipped a good bit, then recovered but no EML came on. Tried the same with the DISA plug and the VANOS intake solenoid plug - still no EML with either.

So, should unplugging these bring up a light? If no, great. If yes, then this suggests I may have a problem, possibly something to do with the instrument cluster.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Gareth

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, that would make sense I suppose. Will try unplugging and stopping/restarting a few times tomorrow. Hopefully it'll work.

Don't think i've ever wanted an EML to come on before... :)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
well, tried unplugging the MAF and restarting a few times, even took it for a drive and the EML still didn't come on. I don't understand this car sometimes!

Are there any fuses or anything that could cause this?

I plugged my laptop in and had a look at INPA and Carsoft. The instrument cluster came up with this error:

I have no idea what it means, but it has apparently occured 40 times - anyone got any idea?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update on the error - apparently it's a factory coding error and is nothing to worry about.

So, my question stands - if the MAF/DISA/VANOS is unplugged should it throw up a light on the dash?

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
yea, the dash one turns up from time to time, without any problems.

I did have some info somewhere which mentioned the different severities of fault codes.
Some store an error and put the light on ASAP, others wait 3-4 times before storing the code, then another few times before the light, and some will clear themselves after a certain number of drive cycles without the error being spotted.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sounds interesting mate, if you find it laying around try and post it here sometime.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have done, nothing extraordinary that I can see.

Am working on getting GT1 working on my laptop with the interface cable I've got.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts