BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

please help me, i have had my 330i (2001) for about 3 weeks now. only recently when the car gets warm and i push down the pedeal be it in D or N or P the engine makes a schreeing noise, this mostly happens when the car is warm. Am thinking Fan belt but could someone clarify?

eg...made schreeching noise on monday then almost nothing until last night and today comming into work. Am thinking of calling the AA out to get a conformation? is that a good idea? also if it is that then shall i change the belt or other things too?

please help?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
as an update took it to a indy, after looking deeper into it they have informed me that all three tensioners need changing and also both belts...well annoyed as only had the car for about 3 weeks and so far have had to change the rocker cover gasket (which cost me £100) and now this job is costing me £200. do you guys think thats a reasonable rate? 3 tensioners and 2 belts parts and labour for £200? Sad

·
Banned
344 Posts
as an update took it to a indy, after looking deeper into it they have informed me that all three tensioners need changing and also both belts...well annoyed as only had the car for about 3 weeks and so far have had to change the rocker cover gasket (which cost me £100) and now this job is costing me £200. do you guys think thats a reasonable rate? 3 tensioners and 2 belts parts and labour for £200? Sad

Would personally do the job myself, its not that difficult.............£100 for a rocker cover gasket swap:eek what a joke......gasket is around £15 and takes us about 20 mins tops to do

·
Registered
11 Posts
Spray is not going to last on tensioners Spartan. Umar, go to another indy...you only have 2 tensioners (A/C + Aux belts) and they won't be original BMW parts for that price.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spray is not going to last on tensioners Spartan. Umar, go to another indy...you only have 2 tensioners (A/C + Aux belts) and they won't be original BMW parts for that price.
do you mean to say its too cheap? as in they wont be orginal parts?

i think they meant 2 tensioners and one some sort of wheel thing near the tensioner? :confused

·
Registered
11 Posts
BMW V ribbed belts alone will cost about £45 together, tensioners will be around £60 each (hydraulic ones as these are better then the mechanical ones fitted which I'm assuming are making the noise), and deflection pulley on the drive belt will be around £25. So parts alone will be £190...so I don't believe labour will be £10...:sarcastic

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BMW V ribbed belts alone will cost about £45 together, tensioners will be around £60 each (hydraulic ones as these are better then the mechanical ones fitted which I'm assuming are making the noise), and deflection pulley on the drive belt will be around £25. So parts alone will be £190...so I don't believe labour will be £10...:sarcastic
might sound like a silly to you pro's but whats wrong with replica parts? have always used replica parts in the past on my other cars and never given me any problems...i dont really want to spend more then i am now...:eek

·
Registered
11 Posts
Up to you, but service life won't be long. You can probably get all those parts from GSF for half the price. The reason I used original belts on my car is because there was a little play with an aftermaket drive belt I tried for a tenner.

·
Banned
344 Posts
Up to you, but service life won't be long. You can probably get all those parts from GSF for half the price. The reason I used original belts on my car is because there was a little play with an aftermaket drive belt I tried for a tenner.

As NealP says........if they need changing then its upto you which parts you use.

to be honest we have always sourced our parts from ECP or GSF- we have fitted quite a few after market tensioners and they seem to work fine and at a lesser cost- Some of our customers insist on using dealer supplied parts- but at the end of the day, the customer gets what the customer wants- its their money.

I would not have a problem fitting aux belts and tensioners sourced from ECP or GCF.

but it is ur call.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As NealP says........if they need changing then its upto you which parts you use.

to be honest we have always sourced our parts from ECP or GSF- we have fitted quite a few after market tensioners and they seem to work fine and at a lesser cost- Some of our customers insist on using dealer supplied parts- but at the end of the day, the customer gets what the customer wants- its their money.

I would not have a problem fitting aux belts and tensioners sourced from ECP or GCF.

but it is ur call.
got the car back and i used replica's so far so good...but £200 out of pocket! :jaw-dropping

1 - 19 of 19 Posts