BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Am hoping someone here with bags of Knowledge can help me. Well basically what happened was that the Rocker cover gasket in my car went! When that happened, the Emissions light came on!

Now I have had the gasket replaced and guess what? The light has gone off! Is this normal? The car is driving really nicely.

Also the car is due an oil service in 4000 (I just bought the car) you do think its worth me chaining the oil before then or not? The obviously looks rather black?!

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup

Umar

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hello all,

Am hoping someone here with bags of Knowledge can help me. Well basically what happened was that the Rocker cover gasket in my car went! When that happened, the Emissions light came on!

Now I have had the gasket replaced and guess what? The light has gone off! Is this normal? The car is driving really nicely.

Also the car is due an oil service in 4000 (I just bought the car) you do think its worth me chaining the oil before then or not? The obviously looks rather black?!

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup

Umar

The light going off is normal dude................you had an air leak from the rocker gasket- EML light came on- You fixed the air leak, light goes off.

As for the oil mate...depends what type/grade you got in there and if the service indicator is accurate........was it last serviced by the previous owner or yourself mate and by whom?.........reason I'm asking is that many sellers just reset the service lights on the beemers blagging that it has just been serviced to squeeze out a few more quid.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The light going off is normal dude................you had an air leak from the rocker gasket- EML light came on- You fixed the air leak, light goes off.

As for the oil mate...depends what type/grade you got in there and if the service indicator is accurate........was it last serviced by the previous owner or yourself mate and by whom?.........reason I'm asking is that many sellers just reset the service lights on the beemers blagging that it has just been serviced to squeeze out a few more quid.
It was last servied by the previous owner so i have no idea what oil is in the car. am thinking shall i just go ahead with an oil service while the clock is showing me i still have 4000 miles to go or shall i wait?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
It was last servied by the previous owner so i have no idea what oil is in the car. am thinking shall i just go ahead with an oil service while the clock is showing me i still have 4000 miles to go or shall i wait?
If this was my car, I would look at the service book, are there any stamps for the last service? was it done by a dealer or Indy? what grade did they use?

If in doubt, I would go ahead and change the oil and filter and reset the service indicator mate.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If this was my car, I would look at the service book, are there any stamps for the last service? was it done by a dealer or Indy? what grade did they use?

If in doubt, I would go ahead and change the oil and filter and reset the service indicator mate.
Thanks mate, i reckon i will go ahead and do just that! :lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts