BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, car passed it's MOT but was given an advisory notice saying both nearside, offside front (rear bush) suspension arm has slight play in a pin/bush

The garage recommended I change the bushes to updated power flex bushes. Has anyone done this?

Also the garage quoted me around £200 parts and labour. Does that sound about right for payment? I notice when at speed the steering ever so slightly shakes a little, is this an effectmof worn bushes? (I've had the wheels balanced) also don't feel as confident cornering as I used to, again is this another effect of worn bushes?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Many thanks

Umar

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
If your handy with a socket set and a kettle you can save your self £150 off that quoted price. Will take you around one hour to do yourself. Powerflex kits available from ebay/local motor shops for around £45

Have a search in the "How-To/Guides" section and see how easy they are to do. Whilst your at it think about getting a four wheel alignment done to make sure everything (front and back) is running straight and not wearing out your tyres/increasing fuel consumption..

HTH

:thumbsup

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your handy with a socket set and a kettle you can save your self £150 off that quoted price. Will take you around one hour to do yourself. Powerflex kits available from ebay/local motor shops for around £45

Have a search in the "How-To/Guides" section and see how easy they are to do. Whilst your at it think about getting a four wheel alignment done to make sure everything (front and back) is running straight and not wearing out your tyres/increasing fuel consumption..

HTH

:thumbsup

Thanks, am not too confident with diy but don't mind a read and then decide. I tried the search but nothing came up... :sarcastic

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vuaxfan did a rather nice how to on the subject..

bushes in a minging hot water makes them soft enough usually to push in the lolipop by hand instead of struggling...

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f3/how-to-fit-e46-front-wishbone-rear-bushes-t20306/
Many thank, looks easy enough! However I would be inclined to buy a new lolipop housing also and looking at some prices on eBay total comes to about £100. On top of that wheel alignment say £40-50. The £200 my garage quotes me doesn't sound too bad as wheel alignment is included...

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
if ya cant be bothered its not a bad price all in...

the bushes alone are 50 quid... and it usually aint easy or pretty trying to get the old ones out of the lolipops to re use them for the pflex bushes..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

the bushes alone are 50 quid... and it usually aint easy or pretty trying to get the old ones out of the lolipops to re use them for the pflex bushes..
Dd in your option how soon should this kind of work be done? What are the effects of not doing so?

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
no ill effects really for the car itself but it may ruin your driving pleasure thru clunking and vibration under braking and wheel wobble and handling etc etc..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

no ill effects really for the car itself but it may ruin your driving pleasure thru clunking and vibration under braking and wheel wobble and handling etc etc..
Would you notice a slight vibration during high speed and braking?

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
usually yes there other name is a brake reaction bush hence if they are worn the rear end of the wishbone rattles around inside the bush..

ide take the advisory with a pinch of salt i had mine wheel alligned in october the dude said the bushes were worn and had play in them.. 3 weeks later i took it for MOT it passed i specifically asked the tester (who was thorough cos i watched him) is there anything iffy at all on the front suspension? and he said nope it was all good..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi guys ,
I was thinking about replacing my bushes as well on my 330 sport but I've seen on here that they come in different sizes !...are they one size for the sport models & another size for non sport or not ??
I want to replace them with powerflex ones so any advice / best place to buy them would be much appreciated
thanks in advance guys
Mark

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for that info Dailydoggy !..... Any idea where the best place to get them would be ??
Thanks again you've put my mind at rest knowing that I won't be ordering the wrong size !!
Mark

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
meyle do a good decent stock type set for 55 beans from allgermanparts.co.uk

lemfoerder is the OEM bush on them i think AG do them aswell...

most places do the powerflex kits....ebay or C3bmw.co.uk etc etc..

·
Registered
7 Posts
spray wd40 on old buses while in situ twist them out and fill new with fairy liquid and push back on correct way.cost about £50 from euro car parts do it all day along.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts