BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive bin messing with an old laptop i found in my junk pile a nice tosh 4080 with a serial port and XP loaded ive thrown inpa on it and loaded it up..

fired it up inpa running and transmitting i just need a suitable interface cable i think now..

whats the recomendation here a modded vagcom cable or a proper BMW jobby?

cheaper the better preferably ive seen a few on fleabay but il wait for a reccomendation off here first?

ta guys n gals...

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that ain't INPA or even BMW software and ya still have to buy the software for it aswell..

the chinese elm 127 will do a similar job for less money..

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I meant just for the leads m8
i think ya getting confused mate INPA dosen't need a data transmitter interface box like that..

its just requires a BMW suitable serial OBD cable for INPA as mentioned a bit ago, a vagcom will do it but iginition on don't work with a vagcom cable unless ya hotwire it into thinking ignition is on..

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
ok ive bin messing with an old laptop i found in my junk pile a nice tosh 4080 with a serial port and XP loaded ive thrown inpa on it and loaded it up..
Spent many a happy day making one 4090 / 4080 out of two ;) tough old things

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spent many a happy day making one 4090 / 4080 out of two ;) tough old things
same here i used to have piles and piles of the things in every corner they were bread and butter laptops on ebay...

i had to throw a pile of them and various bits n spares in a skip at work they just wernt worth anything anymore..but on reflection they are ideal for BMW INPA diags etc..

i never thought tho at the time and her indoors was nagging me to death..:frown

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
My old shed, Satellite 1800. It getting an upgrade to 14" screen after I left it on the stairs, forgot and on the way down slipped on it, sat on it, and surfed it to the bottom of the stairs. It broke a corner off the 13" screen otherwise fine.

These things are pretty durable. Ideal "car laptop"

·
Registered
8 Posts
that ain't INPA or even BMW software and ya still have to buy the software for it aswell..

the chinese elm 127 will do a similar job for less money..
wrong !!!!. Chinese are completely different cables connected. in many cases
fail to recognize the ignition and do not follow the links to many modules....:jaw-dropping

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-USB-OBD-C..._Equipment&hash=item27b98d8d31#ht_2415wt_1141 :lol This is a good example -I have the same interface. and I'm happy. so far:)

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
cool offer:hihi , but only on the rs232 not usb :( my laptop dont have rs :( but I think the functionality is the same most important that something is happening on the market. a lot of cool stuff for the diagnosis :lol

·
Administrator
4,210 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
a lot of people do not understand. this is just a gadget. just if the ignition light is burning. for example in the DIS program . the program automatically recognizes the car. and that's all ... you do not need to enter data of your car program do it for you...

·
Administrator
4,210 Posts
That'll only give you limited connectivity to the older models with the BMW 20 pin port. I haven't really looked into the newer cars but you might struggle on the newer DCAN models as well.

It'll work perfectly for the E46 but the seller is likely to get some unhappy customers promising being able to talk to all modules on all cars on that list.

Ian

·
Registered
3 Posts
wrong !!!!. Chinese are completely different cables connected. in many cases
fail to recognize the ignition and do not follow the links to many modules....:jaw-dropping

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-USB-OBD-C..._Equipment&hash=item27b98d8d31#ht_2415wt_1141 :lol This is a good example -I have the same interface. and I'm happy. so far:)
Hi there,

I just bought a 2003 (pre-facelift) 330 convertible and last night the engine started misfiring. I suspect a failed coil.

Would the cable in the link you provided work for diagnosing faults for my car?
Also do I need to buy software separately or is this all I need + a laptop?

I am completely new to this, so sorry if I am asking very trivial questions.

Many thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts