BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2001 330 convertible approx 145,000 miles back in late december while on the motorway the engine management light came on it was due for a service 2 days later service was carried out and electrical test came back suggesting incorrect reading in the catalytic convertor an addative was added to the fuel and this seemed to do the trick however now the coolant light appears on after about 5 mins driving, the level of coolant was fine then i checked and it was empty, re filled the coolant and changed the coolant switch the light seems to come on and also go off when at a standstill, i have been told that this could be head gasket related. The heating system inside the car seems not to be working correctly. I have always driven with the aircon on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pull out the level sensor connector and place a short across the pins on the wire harness. If the light goes out then the level sensor has a fault. If there is no change with these pins shorted, then you may have a wiring problem. With regards to not having heating in the car, did you bleed correctly after coolant change?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Neal,

Thanks for that i will try, however the coolant sensor has been changed, the light seems to come on at different times, with regard to the heating the coolant has just been topped up do you think it would be wise to flush out and renew, i also believe that water is coming out of the exhaust i will have to check this i think this as when i still pull away when warm i can see what appears to be exhaust but not smokey i will have to check this though

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Neal,

Thanks once again, im still none the wiser, are all these things related back to the sensor do you think if so is there a link where i can get the sensor, your right it was a typo £7.00

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just get it from the dealer. You didn't save much anyway :D

Part: 17137524812
Price £9.50

Intermittent coolant light is usually down to the sensor if the level is physically correct :thumbsup

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
And make sure the cooling system is bled correctly

How to bleed the cooling system.
1.Jack the front of the vehicle up onto stands as high as possible,
2.Turn the ignition on,engine off,heater on fan setting 1 and temperature fully hot,
3.Remove the rad cap/expansion cap,remove the bleed screw from the rad and IF you have them the bleed screw(s) from the thermostat housing/top hose, return pipe or EGR thermostat.
4.Fill the radiator up and keep pouring till there are no more air bubbles coming out from the bleeds, when good then install bleeds and tighten down(don't snap them),ensure the rubber O-rings/seals are still on the screws/on the bleed holes.
5.Suck some water out so it's not full to the brim, replace the cap and then start the car. Run her up and check for heat from the vents when warm and check if over heating still persists.
6.If good then check the water level again in the morning when cool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts