BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

new to the forum and to BMW. I bought a 2001 X- plate 330i sport auto and although it drives real nice, i am getting worried as i find the car very techinal. any ways here is my query....

I had a diganostic check on the car as the emssions light came on...the computer read Bank 1 and Bank 2, unforuntaly i was unable to take down the extact code.

My question is i am pretty sure that the 02 senors need replacing but the problem is there are 4 o2 senors...do i need to change all of them? or do i change the ones at the bottom of the car and not the ones in the engine bay?

also which ones do i get and where can i get them form?

one last question, Lamda sensor is the same thing as a 02 Sensor? :confused

sorry for the all silly questions and am hoping someone can help me? :confused

thanks!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Lambda sensor is the same thing as a 02 Sensor you are correct.

Will need to know what the actual code is to be sure otherwise you could end up changing them all, also was it scanned with a EOBD scanner or BMW specific scanner?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lambda sensor is the same thing as a 02 Sensor you are correct.

Will need to know what the actual code is to be sure otherwise you could end up changing them all, also was it scanned with a EOBD scanner or BMW specific scanner?
It was a red box thing that connected into the car :jaw-dropping

ok so what you are saying is, if i know what the code is then i will know extacly what part it is?

bank1 and bank2 is not a code then? :confused

·
Registered
20,393 Posts

ok so what you are saying is, if i know what the code is then i will know extacly what part it is?

Bank 1 is cylinder 1-3

Bank 2 is cylinder 4-6

Pre-cat is sensor before catalytic converter.

post-cat is sensor after catalytic converter.

So with that, which sensor is it? :D I have a choice of 4 to suggest to you, hence why I need to know the code :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

red box thingy??........probably a Snap-On scanner.

Yep, as Ronnie says, you need to make a note of what the codes were.......Bank 1 and Bank 2 are not codes mate- they just give you an idea of where the problem/s stem from.

If it is indeed the O2 sensors then you can obtain Bosch OEM units from ECP but AllParts do them cheaper.

get the codes read mate

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
red box thingy??........probably a Snap-On scanner.

Yep, as Ronnie says, you need to make a note of what the codes were.......Bank 1 and Bank 2 are not codes mate- they just give you an idea of where the problem/s stem from.

If it is indeed the O2 sensors then you can obtain Bosch OEM units from ECP but AllParts do them cheaper.

get the codes read mate
Thanks guys for the promt responses...i think i will need to go and get the codes read again. once i have them, i let you know the exact codes...

All i remember is the machine said bank1 and bank2 ....is it right to assume that it could be that one form the engine bay might need chaning and one near the exhaust or am i just chatting ****** without knowing the codes?:hihi

allparts? is that a on-line shop? what kind of price am i looking at and are they easy to change?

thanks again guys, really appericate it! :thumbsup

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depending what the codes are it may even be a air leak from a split hose in the engine bay
Its not an air leak...the guy who did the dignostic test, tested the car for air leak, he got a spray and sprayed into the engine bay and the revs stayed as they were....

O by the way what kind of MPG should i expect from this car?

or for my better understanding how many miles should £35 get me on average driving not too hard and not too soft! ok more on the soft side for now! :hihi

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Thanks guys for the promt responses...i think i will need to go and get the codes read again. once i have them, i let you know the exact codes...

All i remember is the machine said bank1 and bank2 ....is it right to assume that it could be that one form the engine bay might need chaning and one near the exhaust or am i just chatting ****** without knowing the codes?:hihi

allparts? is that a on-line shop? what kind of price am i looking at and are they easy to change?

thanks again guys, really appericate it! :thumbsup

It may not be the O2 sensors mate, post the codes up on here when you get them and we'll have a better idea for sure.

but, if it is O2 sensors then the codes will tell you which one is buggered:

it will say something like:

O2 sensor 1 Bank 1
O2 sensor 2 Bank 1
O2 sensor 1 Bank 2
O2 sensor 2 Bank 2

sensor 1's are the pre-cat sensors, 2's are after the cat.

Give my local all-parts a call for your nearest outlet 01753 215080

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It may not be the O2 sensors mate, post the codes up on here when you get them and we'll have a better idea for sure.

but, if it is O2 sensors then the codes will tell you which one is buggered:

it will say something like:

O2 sensor 1 Bank 1
O2 sensor 2 Bank 1
O2 sensor 1 Bank 2
O2 sensor 2 Bank 2

sensor 1's are the pre-cat sensors, 2's are after the cat.

Give my local all-parts a call for your nearest outlet 01753 215080
thanks all! will post as soon as i can! at the moment the car is in my local garage getting a rocker cover gasket replaced! :sarcastic

i dont remember seeing O2 sensor so might not be...if only i had written them, i didnt even know that there were codes until a friend told me! The guy i went to really took the biscut and conned me for reading a machine! but i suppose i am slowly learning and hopefully will get to enjoy the car soon, although at the moment am missing my GOLF GTI 1.8T! :jaw-dropping

thanks again!! :thumbsup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts