BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been reading many threads on various forums about how much oil the M54 engines get through and am just wondering how others are fairing to compare with me? The BMW user manual says oil consumption will vary greatly depending on driving style (obvious I know).

Well mine has just consumed just under 1 litre of oil in 400'ish miles. High I know, but then I live in rural Wales, mostly A and B road, some longer stints on days out with the family on duals and motorways, and I think I drive it pretty hard. Car has covered 152k and the oil is 5w30 Castrol Magnatec.

So, what I'm looking for really is a guide on how you drive yours vs oil consumption. I'm going to try and drive sensibly for the next 400miles to see how much difference it makes...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
mine uses about a litre every thousand miles with mainly short journeys and fast but not mental driving and it smokes a bit on start up sometimes. breather pipes and vanos have been done its on 128k and is as smooth as silk. oil used is castrol eedge 5w/30

·
Registered
827 Posts
Is it burning or leaking? Seams high. Gfs old 330i was using this with a leaking rear crank seal. Most ive seen a non leaking ine use was 500ml/10,000

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cam cover gasket is weeping a bit of oil, and when I changed the oil there was leaking engine oil visible on the block near the steering rack (so I know it's leaking some oil). There is no smoke from exhaust. My driving style is mostly high revs up and down the gearbox on local windy roads. Out of interest will worn Vanos seals cause oil loss? I have a set of new seals so I might change them.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The cam cover leak is common and accounts for some of your oil usage I had to do mine and it did cut the oil use. I don't know whether vanos seals cause oil use but i would get the breather pipes done.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Id say yes yes yes

I really have not know any other car that drinks oil like the 330 my car had a full service december 2012 ready for the new year 2013 the oil was changed quite annoying because you need need about 5 litres to refill and the castrol is only a 4 litre bottle so you either buy 4 litres and a 1 litre top up bottle but makes more sense just to buy two 4 litre bottles knowing you will need more throughout the year ive found that asda is the cheapest at £35 for 4 litres sometimes they have it on offer and its £30 deffinately the cheapest anywhere than most other places (gsf and europarts etc) so since a full oil change the car has used the remainding bottle approx 3 litres and another full bottle just last week so approx 7 litres in 7 months so comparing that with what ive read here and on other forums is about right i do about 600 to 800 miles a month so that matches the bmw fugures in the handbook of about 1.5 litres every 1000 miles the price of oil doesnt bother me as the big engine needs lubricating well which i can live with but does become annoying always topping up plus my neighbours must look out and think hes always messing with that old thing its far from a banger but still old..lol

Yes ive checked for leaks no its not leaking infact my garage owner ive used for the past 6 years and only garage i use because of the trusted relationship built up has offered to buy the car when ive finished with it and always comments how well its been kept suppose it helps it only having 1 previous owner that was a doctor and only selling after 9 years because he had a new nice shiney range rover evoque sitting on his drive ( its alright for some ay)

My tips would be check regulary before that yellow warning oil light tells you to top up and use good oil

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
mine uses about a litre every thousand miles with mainly short journeys and fast but not mental driving and it smokes a bit on start up sometimes. breather pipes and vanos have been done its on 128k and is as smooth as silk. oil used is castrol eedge 5w/30
How much does the breather pipes and vanos cost to do also how long will i be at the garage for mine has 80k miles on a 2002 plate does it even need doing yet?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
How much does the breather pipes and vanos cost to do also how long will i be at the garage for mine has 80k miles on a 2002 plate does it even need doing yet?
i wouldn't bother with the vanos unless you are having problems but the breather pipes probably need doing around that mileage the pipe kit cost me £90 and its about an hour and a halfs work to fit.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Any links wheres best to get the kit?

Is this something that will cause a big problem so pevention better than cure or a dont fix till broken sort of thing

Ive done these sort of prevention things before on cars costing unecessary bills but found with good cars really just to leave them alone and only fix once the problem occurs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts