BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 330d sport manual with 83,000 FSH (1000 mile past oil service) that has just gone down on me (not literally) but i drove it yesterday morning about 5 miles and parked,and when i went to start it about 20 mins later it turns over but wont start and it has just under 3/4 tank.
The DDE light does go out when the ignition is turned on and does not reappear when cranking.
I called the Technical Dept at Cooper BMW at Aylesford and he said "Dunno mate you'd better get it booked in and bring your cheque book"!.
The AA man checked it over and said the pump is not energising but when tested it had power to it at about 11-12 volt.
I called a very good mechanic friend of mine who said he had heard of a horror story of a 530d which had the same symptoms and after they changed the pump in the tank it ran fine for a while then it stopped this resulted in a complete new fuel system replacement (incl Main high presssure mechanical pump,fuel lines,secondary pumps,injectors,filters etc) to the tune of 5k as they said the Main mechanical pump had failed having a effect on the rest of the system.

I have been reviewing some blog on the internet and someone suggested to start with the relay first,which i am just about to attack with fingers crossed :eek:ptimist.
Has anyone got any suggestions or do i go to the "Dunno bloke" with a second mortgage!!?.

Pls Help

Craig

A very concerned BMW owner that had utter faith in these cars until now!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
The 530d models do have issues where the entire fuel system needs replacing. Not usre if its a design flaw thats the culprit.

Did the AA attempt to read the fault codes from the ECU?? If sho were any faults shown?

I would have thought your problem may well be a simple on if the car just died out of the blue. Let us know what happens after you replace the relay.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you checked to glow plugs, I had a problem with a VW transporter van and it turned out to be the plugs. It used to turn over but didn't start at all, and clouds of smoke would come from the exhaust. Due to the mileage it could be the glow plugs, check and replace if required and also spray some easy/quick start spray to help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BINGO!!! checked & cleaned the relay and away she went.

I would just like to say if it wasn't for all the beemer forums and the sleepless night i had on the computer reading all of the possible reasons for this i wouldn't have been able to rectify this so quickly and cheaply, so for that reason only a big THANK YOU goes out to all you avid beemer fans that made this possible, because without you lot i wouldn't have known where to start and would have been looking at a big Main Stealer bill!.

Off now to get new relay (about £12) as i dont want to have the glove box side of the dash out again.

HAPPY DAYS!!!.

Re-instated belief in the ol' girl.

Craig.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i bet the stealer would have found a way to make the £12 part into a £400 bill - this seems to be their favourite size of bill - big enough to put some profit in the bank after paying for all the heating for the glass palaces and paying the numpties salaries and bonuses (for extracting the £400s) but not quite big enough to stop most people going back or selling their cars. The other main stealers are no better than the BM ones in my experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

2001 E46 330d turns over but wont start

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok back to square one as i thought the fuel pump relay unit was the culprit .

I tried to start it again this morning but to no avail, and i have noticed the pre supply pump is not making a noise under the passenger footwell could this be the problem? or upon reading other articles if it was the fuel pressure sensor on top of the fuel filter would this stop the pump from running?.

Or maybe the Cam sensor?.

The pre supply pump has power to it.

It is booked in for the codes to be read but i was looking for a bit of forsight before the Main Stealer tried to rip me off!!!..

When it did start there was a distinct lack of performance and felt like it was "Missing" when i got on the motorway and tried to go above 2,000 rpm which i have noticed over a period of months but thought was " turbo lag ".

I welcome all of your thoughts as there seems to be some very knowledgeble people out there

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Unclesam, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but i'm with you on that one!, sounds like you've had a bad experience and have an axe to grind which i can understand whole heartedly.
" Numpties" i think is being kind but a very good description, because all they do is prey on the unfortunate people that dont know any better and extract money from them under false pretences.

Rock On!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.