BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2001 E46 330d touring - loud rumble/vibration from rear

14K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  rasa golf 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm new here and I bought a 98k miles, 2001 330d touring last week and think its great, trouble is at higher speeds, 60+, when you power on, especially in a right hand bend theres a rythmic vibration noise from the rear - very similar to running over the bump strip at the edge of the motorway.

Had the rear jacked up and both wheels off, nothing obvious or loose. Steady speed or gentle acceleration does not cause this problem.

any ideas??

Any suggestions as to what to look for greatly appreciated. I'm pretty handy with the spaners!

#3 ·
bearings feel ok, turning wheels by hand shows nothing, but I cant rule them out. Past experience of failed bearings is they are noisy all the time, like an aeroplane taking off type of sound.

Driving the car steadily, even at 90+ (private roads) and its perfectly normal, until you floor it.

CV joints?

#7 ·
ide get the prop bearing and prob guibo checked out it can give the impression the rumble is at the rear and both are common failures on big high torque diesels.. maybe actual iffy diff itself aswell seen a few casualites of these on forums too..

#8 ·
2005 E87 120d - rumbling/juddering in 2nd gear

Hi,

My 120d started doing a rumble noise, mainly in 2nd gear and especially when I hit the gas hard. I had it in a bmw dealer in switzerland that replaced the engine supports with no change. I had it then in another dealer that relates the noise to a small accident my girl had, when going with the rear bumper against a wall. They tell me it bended the exaust tubes, making them touch the surroundings... and they want 800 euros to replace everything....! :eek
Now, the accident was on the right side and the exaust is on the left....!:confused

I've read a lot of guys posting about the same rumbling/juddering problem. Changing the central support bearing or/and he shaft solves the problem?

Did anybody solve it like that?
Help is needed to argue with the bmw dealers....;)

thanks and cheers.

#9 ·
I'm having the same problem.I can be cruising along quietly but as soon as I accelerate (even with cruise control) it sounds like I have driven over a rumble strip. It is only when the acceleration begins and seems to peter out if I keep accelerating. It even does it under gentle acceleration and on occasions not at all. Did anyone actually find out the cause because its driving me bonkers?

#11 ·
That's a completely different problem :p

So have either of you guys actually (had anything) checked yet? Diff, prop guibo, prop bearing, diff mounts, drive shafts??? I think it's most likely prop related btw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.