BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My E46 330d has developed a thumping sound particularly in second gear when accelerating at about 2k rpm which eases but is still present in other gears. Most noticeable when the engine is cold and climbing a hill for example.

I think that the wheel bearings are tired and are contributing to the general noise from the front end but don't think that this is the cause of the thumping noise.

Could this be the gearbox, engine mounts, camshaft chain tensioner etc.? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car has done 185k miles but the engine has always been good and so my inclination is the driveshaft guibo as I have revved the engine and it does not appear to move on the mountings. The car can be driven carefully, backing off when the noise starts and it eases off a bit but still sends vibration through the gear stick.

I assume that to check the driveshaft guibo requires the car to be propped up and the under pan detached. is it straightforward or does it need to go the garage?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.