BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today the swirl flaps were removed and blanking plates have been fitted, i note that driving the car its great and the performance is still there infact i feel its even better, i can sleep at night now yippee,

on inspecting the flaps they didnt look too bad, my car has done 74 k so i thought it was time to get them out, gave the egr a good clean too . i would recommend to others to get them out too..

good luck:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no luck on the breather, only put the loo roll type in about 3 month ago so not too much to worry about, i am planning to do the breather myself soon as it looks easy enough, thanks for your threads im glad i went ahead and changed the swirl flaps for blanks though, the car is running fine, and im so much happier too. happy days,

i did tell the garage about the vortex breather and we have noted the part number . it will be fitted soon..

:thumbsup

·
Registered
45 Posts
Will be attempting this in the very near future along with the breather replacement, and then off to the independents for Inspect numero 2. Pay out a few hundred quid now for the piece of mind and hopefully no sky high repair bills later on!

Couple of questions I have though -

1. By replacing the flaps, do any fault lights come on?

2. Do the flaps have anything to do with the traction control system, something I read in another forum?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi woody

On my 330d sport i had no error codes come up after taking the swirl flaps out, there is a pump that moves the rod in and out to move the flaps, just connect this back up and the car thinks all is ok,

As for the removal of these effecting the traction control , i havent noticed this or heard of this problem and i have done a lot of research on this subject prior to removal, My suggestion to you is remove them quick the 320 model seems to be the main culprit on swallowing the flaps. Also fit the new vortex engine breather NOT the blue loo roll type, this vortex type will stay in place for the life of the car and is not exspensive

good luck let me know how you get on :thumbsup

·
Registered
170 Posts
As a newbie owner of a 330d I've been reading a lot of the links regarding these flaps and it has me quite concerned as my car has covered 162000 miles.

It's a late 2000 model so does it have these flaps or not, as a lot of the links say it's 2001 onwards?

Any advice gratefully appreciated.:D

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
Do the flaps have anything to do with the traction control system, something I read in another forum?

the swirl flaps are there to promote turbulence in the cylinder at low engine speeds,helps the torque at low revs...but not many notice a difference...so it may be for emmissions reasons really lol

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Not sure of the exact build-up of the 330d EGR valve, but if you've cleaned it out (presumably with carb cleaner or similar) don't forget to smear the moving contact parts in copper slip afterwards - if you just degrease everything, it will seize up pretty quickly & throw the eml on at every opportunity.
HTH.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.