BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2001 E46 330d manual with 85,000 FSH that has just recovered from a starting problem which was a fuel pump relay problem.

Now i have a new fault, which is in 1st and 2nd gear it accelerates fine with maybe i feel a little "turbo lag" (which i have noticed over the last 4 months the performance is not what it use to be ) but now when i get it to say 50 mph and put my foot down in 3rd and 4th it seems to "miss fire" and not pick up even if i drop it down a gear.

I've experienced these symptoms before but in a petrol car which has either turned out to be spark plugs or points but this being a diesel not is relevant.

I've read a few blogs on EGR valves and MAF's but am a little confused as to how these effect the running and if they are the problem with mine. :confused

She is booked in to a Main Stealer next week for a oil service with an advisory to look at this problem, but i would like to get a bit of inside knowledge so as not to get fobbed off with some technical sh*te after the event.flamed

I would appreciate any comments you have.

Any more information you require is gladly supplied

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, it seems that my hopes have been dashed regarding the fuel pump relay " Fix " and it turns out to be coincidental.

I went to start it this morning and she wouldn't, on inspection i have noticed the pre supply pump is not making a noise so i assume this to be the problem!!.

After a bit of homework i have read that it might possibly be the fuel pressure sensor, but would this stop the pre supply pump from running and also affect the poor performance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

2001 E46 330d turns over but wont start

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok back to square one as i thought the fuel pump relay unit was the culprit .

I tried to start it again this morning but to no avail, and i have noticed the pre supply pump is not making a noise under the passenger footwell could this be the problem? or upon reading other articles if it was the fuel pressure sensor on top of the fuel filter would this stop the pump from running?.

Or maybe the Cam sensor?.

The pre supply pump has power to it.

It is booked in for the codes to be read but i was looking for a bit of forsight before the Main Stealer tried to rip me off!!!..

When it did start there was a distinct lack of performance and felt like it was "Missing" when i got on the motorway and tried to go above 2,000 rpm which i have noticed over a period of months but thought was " turbo lag ".

I welcome all of your thoughts as there seems to be some very knowledgeble people out there

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
If the pump under the passenger floor is not running then that will be your problem right there, getting the codes read it should come up with "fuel pressure monitoring whilst starting" or similar

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.