BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so this is specifically about my E46 330D auto, but I'd guess it fits for most diesels. My motor has done 150,000 miles, and had irregular services :mad (before me, I might add...) and I have been returning, AT BEST 31mpg driving-miss-daisy on motorways... I calculated the mpg figures by filling to brimmed, running untill the fuel light, then calculating the mileage.

I removed my inlet manifold today, to fit the 'swirl flap' mods. After a faff removing it :mad :embarrassed I was looking at the inlet manifold. I saw the holes for the air were all different sizes, and I thought it was clever - regulating pressure from the turbo to divide it evenly to different cylinders as they get further away from the turbo pipe.

BUT - I noticed that the 'barrels' were sized slightly differently. So, I touched the inlet hole, and it was soft. Ok, the dreaded 'gunge'.

After removing all that I could with a rag (OK, a few rags :mad) the holes were roughly TWICE the size they were before..... :jaw-dropping :jaw-dropping :jaw-dropping

I knew that the inside of the manifold itself would also be just as bad (after reaching all that I could with my finger in a rag) I sprayed in a WHOLE CAN of INDUSTRIAL strength de-greaser, and I've left it over night.

Tomorow, I am cleaning the manifold out with a few cycles of copious amounts of petrol (NOT diesel ;)) and hot soapy water.

The bad bit is, that the valve-cover bolted to the head itself is just as bad, so that is going to have to come off, and undergo a similar cleaning process. I'd guess this has hampered my fuel consumption figures somewhat significantly.

I will take some photo's tomorrow (probably) and post them up if I do.

If anyone else who runs a sludger does the swirl flaps, take a close look at your inlet manifold.

And for the record, the swirl flaps were caked, but in good condition overall - tight, and secure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I SHOULD have took photo's of the inlet manifold. I still have the rags - can show them!! LOL!

But I don't have a 'smart phone', actually I don't have a mobile phone at all now. I will take my camera into the garage tomorrow, and take some pictures.

Yes, I'm 22, and I DON'T have a mobile, LOL!!!

Not that the car has cost me TONS in spares (both thermostats, full coolant flush, all fluids and filters, swirl flaps, de-cat exhaust, glow plugs) and it's been totally reliable while I've ran it (TOUCH WOOD!), but I won't be owning a big modern diesel again. It's too much hassle, and the engines are too finely balanced.

A big petrol V8 next time, I think! Much cleaner, sounds better, cooler and easier to fix (not to mention to cheaper!!) to fix! :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and another reason for not taking any photo's of the shite in my car was that I was absolutely minging. I mean, I was proper caked in shite. Horrible, oily, dirty crap. Bad times....

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
the irony using "petrol" to degunk a diesel..

the stick i get for labelling em sludgers aswell justified i think ...:boxedin

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Had mine off before but had nothing like the amount of crap in it like your. Maybe 2mm covering on the worse parts.
I'd imagine your all breather is faulty (or the old loo roll type) and is putting oil into the compressor side of the turbo, or its been over filled with oil in the past.
Sprayed degreaser in mine and used a pressure washer to clean it, also cleaned out the map sensor on the maifold. Suggest you do the same:thumbsup
This is why I've disconnected the egr, to stop all the soot and crap getting in there. Worst I've had is 450 miles from full tank to light on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an EGR bypass valve in the post! :D

Also going to renew the oil breather element - I know it's overdue. What and where is the 'MAP' sensor on the inlet manifold??? Probably too deeply caked in SHITE! LOL!

And dailydoggy - I actually laughed out loud!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I know I SHOULD have took photo's of the inlet manifold. I still have the rags - can show them!! LOL!

But I don't have a 'smart phone', actually I don't have a mobile phone at all now. I will take my camera into the garage tomorrow, and take some pictures.

Yes, I'm 22, and I DON'T have a mobile, LOL!!!

Not that the car has cost me TONS in spares (both thermostats, full coolant flush, all fluids and filters, swirl flaps, de-cat exhaust, glow plugs) and it's been totally reliable while I've ran it (TOUCH WOOD!), but I won't be owning a big modern diesel again. It's too much hassle, and the engines are too finely balanced.

A big petrol V8 next time, I think! Much cleaner, sounds better, cooler and easier to fix (not to mention to cheaper!!) to fix! :D
Let me tell you that the big V8's aren't without their fair share of problems! I have been busy rebuilding my fathers X5 4.6is as the alternator decided to give up with only 67K on the clock! At the same time we have found the water pump was nackered and the crank shaft sensor seals were leaking and the aircon pump belt was actually missing! Now if the car had been taken to the dealers then we'd be looking at around £2K in all to supply and fit but so far have done the lot for around £450 for just the parts. Oh and only a few months ago a coupkle of pipes at the back of engine were absolutely rotten so had to replace them. And we have re-placed the whole front suspension! All this on a car which has 67K on it.
My E46 330D I had never missed a beat in the time i had it and the only thing that i had a slight problem with was a O-ring that i changed within a few mins. Although the gearbox had been replaced by previous owner as had the manifold as that had had a crack in it. Great car and wish I hadn't sold it.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Map, or mass air pressure (or similar description) on my 330d is a electric sensor at the back of the manifold directly opposite the the egr valve. You would of had to take it off or disconnect the wireing to take the manifold off. It controls the turbo actuator, and therefore boost pressure of the turbo:thumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts