BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok, picture the scene this evening; a very busy A303 with every man and his dog leaving London and going south. This road can be a killer at the best of times, changing from dual carridgeway to B roads every few miles and drivers that don't bother to alter their speeds. Add a very dense rain with a lot of road spray at night (I had already passed a four car pile up) - so, I've just joined a B road and the glare of oncoming traffic with all the above mentioned hazards and my autowipers decide to stop...err autowiping!! :eek

I flicked them on when I left London and the intermittant patchy rain kept them busy, infact, they were designed with this drive in mind, perfect I was thinking. And then they just stopped when I needed them the most.

Infact, they wouldn't work at all - I fumbled around trying to put them on manual, each setting - nothing. I had suddenly gone from a clear vision to a dangerous blur in seconds in very bad conditions with my wife and one year old in the car at about 60mph....oh joy.

I slowed down, of course, and flashed my hazards a few times to warn the guy behind all was not well, but with all the glare and spray from the other side of the road it was nightmarish. Nowhere to pull in on this manic road, luckily, I managed to see some brightish lights and crawl into a garage past Chiklade - thank god. Ahhhh.

So, was it a fuse? ...I turned the car off, got the book out, sent the wife and child for a Little Chef coffee and got thinking about my issue. Of course first job; you got to restart the engine and try them again.

This seemed to fix the problem.....to my relief but that was not a moment I want to repeat. They were fine all the way back.

Anyone got any ideas why they did that?

I think that sometimes, having to many auto options can be dangerous.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
anything to do with safety - replace parts! period.

Reactions: Assimilator1

·
Registered
7 Posts
The same thing happened to me at the weekend. Luckily I was near home I got into drive and switched engine off. When I switched on the ignition again they started working again. It happened to me last year around November time I was driving home from Aberdeen, pulled into a lay by switched off engine. Once I restarted they started working again. I maybe should try and investigate why this is happening incase they go permanantly

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
sticking relay the most likely cause - replace that and monitor situation

Reactions: Assimilator1

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Cool i was about to start a search on this as it has happend to my 1 series a couple of times now. i will order a new relay then should be a simple fix.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sure my story applies to all with autowipers...not just E46 .. or is this promblem specific to E46's? I did consider putting it in the technical section but I wanted to warn others of it's potential to kill.

Technical or saftey warning?....... technical it is.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
both! lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
This happened to me yesterday on a very busy A38 coming out of Devon in heavy rain.

Which relay do I need please?

Thanks,

Keith.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts