BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes its that time, ratb's knackered the car drives mint this was picked up on a service, i know this has been covered many times, so bear with me, will e46 m3 ratb's fit, i was shopping for some and an ad said they did, this is all i need to know, and please dont post about powerflex or any other poly bush i want strictly oem only

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply mate, are they tougher, whitch is the reason for fitting i suppose, or a waste of money

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
yes its that time, ratb's knackered the car drives mint this was picked up on a service, i know this has been covered many times, so bear with me, will e46 m3 ratb's fit, i was shopping for some and an ad said they did, this is all i need to know, and please dont post about powerflex or any other poly bush i want strictly oem only
why don't you want powerflex for the rear?, it stops the car sqirming under hard excelleration. but for future reference i wouldn't fit powerflex to the front again though!, i would be fitting solid rubber meyle 1s instead.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just dont really rate em, i read an artical in bmw car, (when it was good) on this subject they reakoned the oem bmw bush was the best in the world, and it has to be said most people that fit powerflex bushes are replaceing several year old suspension, i like the car the way it is , it also has to be said the car drives mint, this has suprised me by being picked up on a service, my mate picked the car up for me and his dd is a clio 182, if the car hadled bad he would of said

·
Registered
4,071 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
For OEM bushes I've seen people put a large jubilee clip round the outside edge, compress them, position them in the bush, then release the jubilee clip - allegedly works well. Use a quality jubilee clip though, not Halfrauds cheap tat.

Also, you need to bolt it all back together in roughly the standard static position of the trailing arm - this is the preload element, as they don't rotate freely like the Powerflex ones. The preloading can be tricky, but just try to gauge the angle of the trailing arm to the housing as best you can, and tighten it up as such.

The E46 M3 bushes are supposed to be good (yes, they fit, and they're the same as the E36 M3 ones (all E36 & E46 RTAB's are interchangeable). I have powerflex ones though. As said above, I wouldn't use them for FCAB's (lolliopos in the front) again, but they're good as RTAB's (very good indeed) and easy to fit.

HTH

·
Registered
753 Posts
I used a drop of wd40 did the trick and hasn't caused any issues.
i put a smear of copper slip in my trailing arms after cleaning them up when i did mine.
I also put tip-ex around the trailing arms where they bolted to the underneath so i could roughly get them back in the same position until i got it 4 wheel aligned.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
i put a smear of copper slip in my trailing arms after cleaning them up when i did mine.
I also put tip-ex around the trailing arms where they bolted to the underneath so i could roughly get them back in the same position until i got it 4 wheel aligned.
Good advice there:thumbsup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts