BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have done a search but can't find the right info.
Driving home from london today in the snow, my brakes almost completely failed. After holding them on for a while they seem to start working again.
I know wet weather can affect brake performance,but this was really bad with nothing at all at first.

I was thinking that the brake pads must be down to metal,but im getting no warning light on the dash! Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No i'm sure it wasn't the abs,there was no ice on the carriage way. It was at about 70mph on the a303,when i checked the brakes every couple of miles,there was nothing again until about 3 seconds later. seems to happen every time the brakes get wet. Could it be anything to do with the salt on the roads?:confused

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Could be a build up of water on the discs, and the delay is the time it takes for the pads to dispel the moisture. My 330 used to be like that, but not 3 seconds worth of delay, Audi's can suffer to. A lot of cars now apply brakes gently and intermittently to get rid of the water.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
cheers for the replies. I had a proper look today and there's plenty left on the front pads. They are working fine at the moment, but the mrs is too scared to drive on the motorway. Any more idea's?

·
Banned
344 Posts
cheers for the reply's. I had a proper look today and there's plenty left on the front pads. They are working fine at the moment, but the mrs is too scared to drive on the motorway. Any more idea's?

Grooved and/or drilled discs will disperse the water better than the standad discs...............we use them on our race cars. As the grooved bit on the disc passes over the pad, it actually cleans it up and improves braking efficiency and helps to disperse heat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
crikey, so its well overdue! Is it a hard job to do, or do you think its easy enough to tackle myself?
Also i wouldn't mind fitting new discs and pads and maybe some steel brake lines. Found what seems like a decent guide, but its for an m3.:thumbsup
http://www.bimmerdiy.com/dir/e46

·
Registered
947 Posts
Hiya all!! I have a BMW 330ci and have a quick question...I have been hearing a clonking/thud sound when i apply my brakes. It just happens once and thats it. Sometimes this noise happens when i depress the brakes. Its like something is loose or sticking? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
has a caliper been taken off recently? have you had new pads fitted? maybe the spring retainers for the pads havn't been fitted correctly, or the caliper bolts are loose! As for the water stoping the discs for 3 secs working, i dought that! i've had many an inferior car that the bm's and regularly used to mess around up and down country roads in wet conditions, in fact i used to race though what i called a water splsh, and although the brakes did suffer with the water, it wasn't to the point i felt the brakes don't work. the only prob i ever had was warped disc from being hot, and getting rapidly cooled by water.

·
Registered
10 Posts
brake clank

hi all i too have a similar problem every time i break while im moving clank from front right corner nothing at crawling speed or stationary. car is 318ti auto 1999. hasnt really been driven for over a year only a few miles any ideas:eek

1 - 18 of 18 Posts