BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, firstly thanks to everyone who gave me advice on my vibrating issue. It was a caliper sticking as a few of you suggested, apologies for not coming back sooner but been working away.

Anyway my next question is related to low mpg, or what i think is low anyway. I am getting about 13 mpg at the moment, although to be fair my journey to work is about 2 miles and mostly sat in traffic. When i can actually get around town without constantly stopping i am getting about 17 mpg, am i right in thinking this is low? Also i have noticed that my temperature guage is getting to twelve o'clock after anywhere between 12 and sometimes closer to 20 minutes, is this too long and if so is this a cause of low mpg?

Whilst it is in my head, i have rust issues on three wheel arches. Anybody know the best way to get rid of this and approximate cost for doing so.

Thanks in advance for your help / advice.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
way too long get the stat changed will affect MPG...

you could also have a duff auto tranny cooling stat tho aswell...which is more likely if it makes it to 12 oclock on the gauge eventually and dosen't vary from 12 oclock...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the stat the thermostat? and if so do you have an idea what this will cost me to buy? to get fitted?

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
your car has 2 thermostats the main stat on the engine and the autobox stat at the base of the coolant expansion bottle, you will prolly have to change both if changing the main dosent cure it first...

saying that auto's have a mechnical viscous fan not electric which prolly tends to make it warm up even slower...

mine is up to temp in under 10 mins in cold weather..

main stat is around 40-50 quid complete prolly looking at a oner plus for a garage to change it...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E46-3-SERIES-THERMOSTAT-HOUSING-176BM0150-/300511273913?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45f7de23b9

or same as what ECP sell...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THERMOSTAT-HOUSING-BMW-E46-320i-323i-325i-328i-330-/330516733502?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cf4551e3e

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi , definately change the stat as I had the same problem as you with regards to the time the gauge took to reach 12 o'clock I also had no hot air into the cabin either the new stat fixed both probs & I fitted it myself in about 45 mins. If yours is an auto you will need to remove the fan but again no real issues there the parts cost me £60 from a genuine dealer & it comes witha 2 year warranty from them too
never had fuel consumption as low as yours though so you might have another. Problem too but start with the stat first
Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you say other problem, can you suggest any other problems it could be? I don't have a problem getting warm air in by the way, if anything it is cold air i struggle with.

·
Registered
282 Posts
deffo had stat problem on my mates 330ci and this cured it but just replace both

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just took it for a run and monitored the obc hidden menu. Took 16 minutes tio get to 12 o'clock and for the majority of the 16 minutes the temperature was about 56. Once up to 12 o'clock i ran around for another 5 minutes and when i stopped the temperature was 81. I am getting my mechanic to price this up for me, cost price parts etc, will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can somebody help me here please. I asked my mechanic to get my a price for both stats and he quoted the following dealer prices £65 + Vat for the coolant stat and £112 + Vat for the autobox stat. Going on other posts this seems a little steep, am i right and is it these two stats that i would need?

·
Registered
87 Posts
You could change the engine thermostat yourself as it's quite an easy job & this will save you money on labour costs !... I did mine myself & the money you save could cover the labour to change the the other one as this is a bit more tricky !
Hope that helps !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts