BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Sorry if i have posted this in the wrong selection!
Since i have had my car since December, i have always notice a tinning noise from underneath the car.. but can never find the cause of the problem. Always seems to do it on low rev. A number of people suggested it might be the heat shield being loose orthe brackets on the exhaust system.

Anyway Yesterday i have found the problem. its a flap from inside of one ofthe rear tailpipe which opens and closes. is the a cure to stop it from rattling and why is there a flap on only one of the tailpipes?

thanks

will

·
Registered
11 Posts
Apparently, the flap is there to aid in noise reduction at lower revs or idle. It opens when you drive above a certain speed by a vacumn actuator. Are you saying the flap is loos at it's middle hinge?

·
Registered
11 Posts
any link please?
I'll talk you through it for your car. Refer to the pic below...

Do you see the rubber vacuum pipe (No.4) attached to the rear exhaust box? Well, you pull this out and either stick a golf tee or a precise fit screw onto the end of this rubber pipe and tie up somewhere out of the way using a tie wrap or similar. A neater job is to take the pipe out, insert a ball bearing slightly larger than the diameter of the pipe, and then attach the pipe back to the exhaust. What you are tying to do is block the vacuum from the valve (No.1).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.