BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
I have a very similar kit from Dice but without the cradle as I have done a stealth installation - very pleased with it.

Mine is fitted to a E46 320d 2003 - connected to a business stereo and displays track name, artist etc, iPod is hidden in the centre console next to the handbrake (under the slidey cover) The Dice box is between this slidey cover tray and the centre console (pulled out the tray and found enough room for the box. the cabling then runs underneath the passenger front seat, under the trim to the rear of the car then under the back seat and under the trim to the cd changer cables in the boot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
DO you know if this would work with a comp fitted sat nav screen? I like to see the song info on screen and control through the steering & CD player. .

How would this compare with a INtravee?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Intravee is way better on the Nav, but more expensive.

Have a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTG22HWPZ5A ignore the HD Radio part, and the DICE Silverline gives names of Artists/Albums/Playlists when searching which the original DICE does not.

The Intravee firmware has also been updated since that video to give better search capability, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=d2tUWbPcPdQ

There a lot of threads on the US forums about the DICE, either they sell an awful lot, or there is a very high probability something will go wrong with them.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have been looking for a way to hook my ipod up to my car. I currently have a cd changer fitted. Is it true I can't have both the cd changer and ipod kit? Also, how can I tell if the track, album etc text will appear on my HU screen? I have the Business cassete head unit fitted

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi all,

Dension is another make that links ipods. I have one fitted in mine a 2000 330 with business stereo (cd).

The 300 has a module that is extra to keep the existing boot changer, without it it is disabled.

The 500 all is included but more expensive. The site http://www.dension.com lists the compatability. Text does not work on mine, however the rest functions well. With the 300 comes the facility to use an usb pen, hdd (with the contron via hu or steering controls) or auxilary for headphone jack only (controlled via the gadget plugged in).

Jus as an alternative choice!

Cheers

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
I have been looking for a way to hook my ipod up to my car. I currently have a cd changer fitted. Is it true I can't have both the cd changer and ipod kit? Also, how can I tell if the track, album etc text will appear on my HU screen? I have the Business cassete head unit fitted
The kit I have replaces the CD changer, I have the business unit and with the Dice kit is displays track/artist/album info.

Bought my kit off ebay for £90ish quid

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
My business radio in my 2003 E46 displays the text that the iPod would.
Apparently if it displays text off a music CD that has the track info encoded it will do the same for the iPod - however I don't know that I own any music CDs with Text encoded on them to test it before hand.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I know my head unit doesn't display any text apart from the RDS station names. When I'm playing cd's through my cd changer, all I get is the track number and cd number displayed. Oh well, have to look for another option then as I can't imagine trying to find a particular track to play out of over 8gigs worth

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
I know my head unit doesn't display any text apart from the RDS station names. When I'm playing cd's through my cd changer, all I get is the track number and cd number displayed. Oh well, have to look for another option then as I can't imagine trying to find a particular track to play out of over 8gigs worth
thats what I mean - I couldn't find any CDs that supported text but my head unit does display the ipod track names - I bought my kit expecting not to get track details but was pleasantly surprised that it did.

·
Registered
880 Posts
On Business head units these kits use the 'Phone' messagse that displays the caller ID, most E46 head units support this but some require a key press to get rid of the text causing what's become known as the 'double key press issue'. Head units with the double key press issue are a pain to use, especially with scrolling text, generally they have a 'CD' key rather then 'MODE'.

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
thats what I mean - I couldn't find any CDs that supported text but my head unit does display the ipod track names - I bought my kit expecting not to get track details but was pleasantly surprised that it did.
I know a CD that'll work the way your talking about. Buy the original of Bruce Springsteen's greatest hits (Sony I believe) and it has track names encoded in it.

Dumb founded me when stumbled upon it on the i drive, which i knew how to do the encoding then all my copy CDs would be great! Red :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm pretty sure if you have iTunes v7 or later, then there is an option in the burn preferences that allows you to encode track text on your music cd's you burn.

I'm gonna go check now. Will let you know

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
Hi Ray T you are a star mate I will look into it myself.

I hate i-tunes with a passion though, forcing you to go AAC when you have everything in MP3 - AARGGHH! And everything is play list oriented ah!!! Just hate it ever since it was launched. Only good thing is the visual effects, when playing a song, are pretty amazing compared to the others.

I wonder if the likes of Nero do it too.... Cheers! Red!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Nero will create Audio CDs with CDText.

iTunes will handle MP3's quite happily, either include your MP3s directly in the library or change your settings to rip CDs as MP3s. It's not necessarily playlist orientated either, show the entire library and then open up the Browser with Ctrl+B, you can then select any Genre, Artist or Album. I'm not saying it's great, just it's not that bad.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Hi Ray T you are a star mate I will look into it myself.

I hate i-tunes with a passion though, forcing you to go AAC when you have everything in MP3 - AARGGHH! And everything is play list oriented ah!!! Just hate it ever since it was launched. Only good thing is the visual effects, when playing a song, are pretty amazing compared to the others.

I wonder if the likes of Nero do it too.... Cheers! Red!
My itunes has never forced me to go AAC it has always had thousands of MP3 tracks happily uploading to my iPod - the only time it converts to AAC is from .wmv files

But I still hate iTunes though - Love my iPod.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Nero will create Audio CDs with CDText.

iTunes will handle MP3's quite happily, either include your MP3s directly in the library or change your settings to rip CDs as MP3s. It's not necessarily playlist orientated either, show the entire library and then open up the Browser with Ctrl+B, you can then select any Genre, Artist or Album. I'm not saying it's great, just it's not that bad.

I like the cover flow aswell -much better - like flipping through an old record collection - honest.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts