BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps

Currently I have a factory installed BMW 4:3 monitor with nav and tv. I want to buy the 16:9 unit of which I have found a mint condition one for £190.

Thing is not sure whether it will fit my model and I don't wanna stump the cash if it don't. I know that the other unit has come out of a 2002 or 2003 E46.

Does anyone know? Please help.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
It will plug straight in. You will need a 16:9 TV module if you have TV. You can update your MK3 nav to the latest version and enable split screen on 4:3 and 16:9 models.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks joylove.

If I don't get a 16:9 tv module, won't my current 4:3 module work on the larger screen? Or will it work, but only show at smaller size? How much does a 16:9 module cost?

I upgraded the software for the system so I can get split screen already, but that's pretty useless on the 4:3! I did it more for the updated interface graphics than anything else as the previous owner never updated it from when the car came out of the factory 10 years ago...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If the TV module does not support 16:9 you'll just get two black bars on either side of the 16:9 monitor. You can either bypass the TV module or get a newer one that does support 16:9.
This. I'd be looking at a bypass. a freeview 16:9 tuner is £450 used, and a 16:9 analogue is £100 ish. Digital switchover will be done by 2012.

BMW Land rover, X5 and E39 units will also work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts