BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a little issue for some time on my car, which has now started to annoy me.
At idle after the car has warmed up, I get a gurrgling tapping noise coming from the right side of the engine. The right side of the engine would be the side where the exhaust manifold is. The noise gets louder with slight revs but then disappears as the revs go past about 1000 rpm. Now the obvious culprit is the hydro lifters but I want to be sure if they are. So how can I be? And what others possible causes could there be for this noise?

Also I woulod like to ask what causes the hydro lifters to wear? In specific, does low oil cause this? The owner before me was a women and i don't thik she got round to topping the oil until the red warning light would come on. And given the fact that these cars are oil thirsty: that would of have happened pretty often.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
if she let it run until the red oil light (low oil pressure) came on, she will have done it some serious damage.

Never heard hydraulic lifters give a noise described as "gurgling", it's normally just a ticking noise.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would say it's coolant related ie air lock,bleed the system and see what happens before you leap into the realms of expensive what if's :thumbsup
Just make sure the heater is set to full heat when you do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.