BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
About 2 month ago my air con stopped working and started to make a 'hissing' sound, didnt worry too much as weather was cold, then about a month ago sitting in traffic, car started to over heat and expansion tank split, i replaced expansion tank and have been driving round fine since, however about two weeks ago i was caught in traffic again and noticed it starting to overheat again so put temp up to keep it going, have checked it over and main cooling fan isnt coming on (asuming something went when air con stopped) have tried to bypass switch to get fan to run but gather from this forum that there is ECU in switch so has constant live anyway!
Is there any way for me to test the fan from the battery and whats my next step, want to check as much as poss before it has to go in!
Thanks in advance for any advice

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
you have to change the fan unit its a common fault the control unit goes duff on it and cannot be bought seperate either..you can only test the fan motor itself but that never goes duff anyway..

bout £180..

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
its not a fan switch as such the fan is variable speed controlled by the unit and the ECU..

if you short it out so fan runs at full it will just overcool the engine and ruin mpg..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts