BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello chaps

My BMW 325i (e46) failed to start last night for the first time so I had to abanden it and share a lift home... I turned the ignition key to the second point as normal with all the buttons and dashboard illuminated as per normal, waited a few seconds and then tried firing it up. The car didn't turn although made a click-click-click-click noise... I noticed that the headlights turned on and off whilst attempting to star the car - inside and outside...

Is that a new starter motor or just a dying battery?? I'm going there later but it's an automatic so a little panicked...

Please help/advise...!!

Many thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is the battery. If you do get a jumpstart, use the battery tap in the engine bay and make sure you turn on all your lights, heater fan to full, and de-mister to prevent ECU damage caused by a surcharge when removing the jump leads.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hello chaps

My BMW 325i (e46) failed to start last night for the first time so I had to abanden it and share a lift home... I turned the ignition key to the second point as normal with all the buttons and dashboard illuminated as per normal, waited a few seconds and then tried firing it up. The car didn't turn although made a click-click-click-click noise... I noticed that the headlights turned on and off whilst attempting to star the car - inside and outside...

Is that a new starter motor or just a dying battery?? I'm going there later but it's an automatic so a little panicked...

Please help/advise...!!

Many thanks!

sounds like you have a dead battery mate.

Will it not jump start?

you need to find out what drained the battery................could just be that the battery has had it and is not holding charge.............but just to be sure I would put a volt meter accross it once you've got it started-------if you are getting less than 13v then the alternator is shot.............providing the fan belt is nice and tight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys, thanks very much for replying back to the post. It looks like it may well be the battery as you all quite rightly predicted.... phew!!

I used the battery tap in the engine bay as suggested

Thanks very much!! This forum is bloody helpful!!

Omar Terywall

1 - 4 of 4 Posts