BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have some ccfl angle eyes fitted which today I have turned into DRLs. This means that I have removed the positive wire from the wiring from the side lights plug. The result is the bulb failure icon is obviously now illuminated and the indicators are kicking in to compensate.
So, my question is how to stop this happening? Can I some how loop the connectors? Or perhaps feed 2 sources of positive to the CCFL invertors, one from the ignition source, the other from the side lights wiring? - however in my mind I'm not willing to risk this without expert knowledge as something doesn't seem right in the logic of it all.
Any help really appriciated.
Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
11 Posts
OP, you could put the old bulb holders back in and have some engine bay lighting :hihi. That's what I did with my Gen 1s.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I don't have the relay though which I've just been reading up on.
Simply 2 wires from each inverter. Previously I connected these to the old side lights plug.
Do I have to get the relay set up or can I achieve this another way? - without engine bay lighting ;-)

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
Hello,

Just take the switched live from the ECU box, where i did, use a crimp to give you two wires out of one and run them to your CCFLS (one on each side)

Now your CCFLS will be on when the engine is running,

I take it you dont want your side lights anymore?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
Sorry, i have mis-read your post

I understand waht you are saying now,

You have already wired them as DRL's, you want to stop the bulb warning indicator comeing up because you dont have bulbs in the side lights?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello,

Just take the switched live from the ECU box, where i did, use a crimp to give you two wires out of one and run them to your CCFLS (one on each side)

Now your CCFLS will be on when the engine is running,

I take it you dont want your side lights anymore?
Exactly what I've done, but the bulb failure light is on now. Just need a solution to get rid of the damn warning light :confused

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, i have mis-read your post

I understand waht you are saying now,

You have already wired them as DRL's, you want to stop the bulb warning indicator comeing up because you dont have bulbs in the side lights?
Yep, spot on!

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts