BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I have recently bought a 2001 325ci sport in black(gorgeous)

When i indicate, the lights flash quickly for a couple of seconds as though i have a light out but then they return to normal.
This happens on both left and right turn signal.
It occurs the first time i use the car each day and then intermittently during my trip.

I have checked all bulbs and they seem ok.

Do you think there is a relay problem?
Oh and another problem....i can't find the relay!

Thanks people

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
definately sounds like a relay issue , or possibly a bad earth somewere . Relays are usually under steering column area or in engine bay near battery m8
Thanks but i have tried looking around there but just can't find it.

Hopefully someone might have had the same issue and cure....its driving me mad!!!!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
This is the light control module. I can only advise the obvious like checking that all the indicator bulbs are seated securely and making a good connection.
All wiring plugs are secure and clean and you could maybe check that the connections are tight on the connector to the module itself:thumbsup
Also the indicator switch

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the light control module. I can only advise the obvious like checking that all the indicator bulbs are seated securely and making a good connection.
All wiring plugs are secure and clean and you could maybe check that the connections are tight on the connector to the module itself:thumbsup
Also the indicator switch
Thanks i will attempt that this weekend now i know there is no relay!
:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello buddy,

I had the same problem - and managed to fix it!

Be sure to check the multi-plug that connects into your rear light backing plate (bulb holder part).
See my diagram below.

It turned out one of my plugs/connector socket had signs of soot (indicating a blown line of somesort).
A give away sign also, is if you turn your main lights on and look at the sidelights from behind - either the left or right side may appear slightly dimmer.
The dimmer one is likely to be the one with a faulty connector (in your case - maybe both may appear dim as you mentioned it happens when you indicate left and right. For me it only happened when I indicated right, thus my right lights were dimmer from behind). As I said - check it for signs of soot. And then replace the bulb holder plate first accordingly.
I thought I'd have to change the plug too, but I started with the cheaper/easiest option (which was the backing plates: eBay £5 each) and they are fine now -
No more intermitant flashing indicators

:) Best of luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello buddy,

I had the same problem - and managed to fix it!

Be sure to check the multi-plug that connects into your rear light backing plate (bulb holder part).
See my diagram below.

It turned out one of my plugs/connector socket had signs of soot (indicating a blown line of somesort).
A give away sign also, is if you turn your main lights on and look at the sidelights from behind - either the left or right side may appear slightly dimmer.
The dimmer one is likely to be the one with a faulty connector (in your case - maybe both may appear dim as you mentioned it happens when you indicate left and right. For me it only happened when I indicated right, thus my right lights were dimmer from behind). As I said - check it for signs of soot. And then replace the bulb holder plate first accordingly.
I thought I'd have to change the plug too, but I started with the cheaper/easiest option (which was the backing plates: eBay £5 each) and they are fine now -
No more intermitant flashing indicators

:) Best of luck.
Thanks Sinnus,

Great advice! Will see if that works.

:silly:silly:silly

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sinnus, i can't think of the words to thank you enough for the advise!!!

I couldn't see much black soot so i just disconnected the plug and re-connected it again many many times. Indicators working as normal now.
The contacts must have corroded slightly....
I never had to replace the backing plates either which is good.....

A very useful thread!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,

I have a similar problem where the my multi-plug connetor has melted a bit where the brown wire sits. The plug holder is where the brown wire is supposed to sit on has actually be broken to half the size. There is some corrusion there. I have put black tape around the brown wire and then push through the wire into the multi plug connector and then plug this into the holder. The rear passenger indicator is normally ok for a week, then I get the dashboard light up again, I have to take the multi plug connector out and re-insert again.

Where can I or should I purchase the multi plug connector or plug holder?
What is the correct wording for this?

Or would main dealer be best choice?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Mate,

I have the same problem. My mechanic is asking me to change the bulb holder, he said its about £40.

I think thats to much for a bulb holder. You mentioned about backing plates, honestly I dont know anything about that & I have searched on ebay & I couldnt find anything.

There is a sign of something burned a bit on the connector like what you mentioned in your diagram.

What should I do & wehere should I find that backing plates?

Cheers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,

I bought the parts cheap from a main dealer.
I purchased the bulb holder and connector and some wires.
The wires were about 2ft in length and they have the pin attached which slots into the connector, I cut them down as required.

I had 4 wires in the connector that had corruded, so these I cut off and attached the new wire with tape.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would like to inform everybody how pleased I am now because I have also fixed my faster flashing indicators after following Sinnus's advice. Many thanks here.

I removed both the rear light backing plates and clean all the bulbs and the connectors. The indicators now flashing normally!

·
Registered
2010 330d e90, 2008 M3 e92
2,503 Posts
Cool :)
I'd just like to add that using emmery paper &/or needle files to clean off the dark marks also works.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.