BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2001 E46 325Ci - Finger trap strip (?) of trim falling off

604 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Mr Mugambo 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm having an issue with the bit of trim around the passenger side front door on my e46 325ci. The car was sitting undriven for a few months, and in that time the trim seems to have come unstuck and is now hanging down in a quite annoying way! (see attached)

I've tried some extra strong glue from screw fix which held it back up for a titbit it dropped again. Went to get a quote on fixing it from the local indy BMW garage and he's said it'll be around £300 as it's got a finger trap sensor in it and the whole thing will need to be replaced :eek

Anyone had this issue before and found a cheaper way to solve it?! According to the garage bloke it's been quite a common problem with e46's that he's seen, and he usually recommends just duct taping it up to save a few quid, but that's not exactly ideal :sarcastic

Vehicle door Windshield Vehicle Car Automotive exterior
Vehicle Car Car seat Car seat cover Seat belt

See less See more
#2 ·
They do come off after a while, and I'm sure it's common on many cars as they age. And it's true - about £200 per side for the E46 coupe. A big ouch for saloon/touring owners... I have to do my driver side one as it is coming off at the rear of the door frame.

For glue etc. Evostick Timebond worked for some. B&Q, Wilkos, Hombase etc. should have it. Another option is butyl tape from BMW (part no. 83190153321). I can't say which is better though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.