BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

just a post to ask around.

Car seems slower to me since I have changed the sparks and oil.
It is not a shocking difference but I am sure it doesn't seem to pull through the top revs the same...

Just wondering if say the vanos runs differently with different oil grades??
Say will run better or more agressively with a thinner or thicker oil?

I put 10w40 Semi castrol in, not sure what it had before.

Also, I am going to unplug the MAF and go for a spin and see if it might be that, it has seemed very weak mid range power.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Its always strange how such differences are noticed after just a basic service!

What spark plugs were in the car prior to the service and which ones did you put in at the service?

The oil wouldn't make a difference as noticeable as that. Fwiw, When I bought my 328i, I used Castrol 10w40 for a quick temporary oil change and the car ran spot on. 4 weeks later, I changed to 5w40, it got upto temperature from cold a tad quicker and also the engine felt ever so slightly more slick and easy but no difference in terms of power.

Other than this, I can only assume something has been disturbed during the service. May be worth checking the connections on the ignition coils and also testing the coils for their out put.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well,
just been out and MAF is OK but not brill,
seemed a lot more willing to set off from 2000 revs without the maf but no real difference.

The plugs I changed from the NGK ones which were right for the car for the equivalent champion ones, same design multi electrode and same gap.

Only other difference I can think is that it might of had the Tesco 99 ron petrol in, so might give that another go.
For £20 it did slightly more miles than £20 of normal 95 I thought, ignoring mpg and litres.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ONE MORE THING!

The car sounds very quiet for a 325 - induction noise that is
Is it just how it is?

My uncle has a 323 m52 engine i think which is much louder,
might have to sort normal ish but louder exhaust or possibly induction out

·
Registered
35 Posts
Champion plugs don't have a great reputation to be honest mate, only time I've ever sold them were the C59C's that were specific at the time for the Cosworth engine Fords or RS Turbo can't remember which, and then we were wary. NGK are OE and Bosch are a good alternative:thumbsup

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I was a bit worried but would plugs make an amount of difference in power?

Will swap them again for NGKs if it is worth it but I wasnt sure it was possible?? (except wrong plugs eg misfiring)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Well I was a bit worried but would plugs make an amount of difference in power?

Will swap them again for NGKs if it is worth it but I wasnt sure it was possible?? (except wrong plugs eg misfiring)
Yes, modern engines are designed to run on specific plugs in general. The difference between spark plugs between brands makes a vast difference due to the materials used ad any calibrations tolerances that are applied. (You car won't have this, but as an exmaple, the current M5 have sensors working directly from the spark plugs, so using anything but an OEM BMW spark plugs would knokc the sensor readings out creating other issues).

The only aftermarket plugs we fit, where suitable and cheaper are Denso. These are very high qaulity Japanese plugs usually fitted on anything other than a german car that we get in if it doesn't have specific requirements. Their performance ones are awesome. Always ran my Supra TT on these :thumbsup

Change your plugs for OE BMW ones as a starting point (either get them from BMW (not that dear!) or get the right spec NGK ones from GSFCP/Eurocarparts). This will most likely revert your car to how it was performing before.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK well I just checked and the NGKs BKR6EQUP
are specced as OE/OE service part, the ones I took out did have BMW and NGK on so they must of had some sort of deal?

Might order another set then, wish I hadnt got the champion ones now!

Might get fuel filter as well, car had been sat a lot before I got it so guessing all the crap has been shoved through the filter since I got it.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I would get the fault codes read, may be a cam sensor problem or similar, also check for any split pipes, vacuum pipes and induction pipes while you are under the bonnet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.